Q. What is the conclusive timeline for hepatitis B and C testing?

Published on Nov 22, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2019

What is the conclusive timeline for hepatitis B and C testing? I have done the following tests.

1. Normal ALT and AST at 12 weeks post possible infection.

2. HBsAg at 15 weeks post possible infection.

3. HBsAg, HBcAb and HBsAb at 22 weeks post possible infection.

4. Hepatitis C antibody at 22 weeks post possible infection.

5. Normal ALT, AST, ALP, LD, and albumin. I had slightly raised bilirubin (27 umol/L in a ref range of 8 to 24).

6. HBsAg, HBcAb at 29 weeks post possible infection.

7. Hepatitis C antibody at 29 weeks post possible infection.

Does the test at 29 weeks (202 days) determine that my results are 100% conclusive and no further testing is needed? Why would there be elevated bilirubin? If I were infected, why the detectable elevations in bilirubin did not follow a positive hepatitis test, and why it is stuck in the middle of two negative tests (week 22 and week 29 negative tests)?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Normal bilirubin, as well as, normal ALT (alanine aminotransferase), and AST (aspartate aminotransferase), do not warranty that a person cannot have hepatitis B and C infection. A person infected with hepatitis B and C can have normal liver function tests. In a normal course, HbsAg (surface antigen) comes positive within four weeks of infection and Anti HCV (hepatitis C virus) antibody may take up to six weeks to three months to show its positivity.

In general, if a person is found negative after months of exposure we consider it conclusive. In cases where there is a high risk or the diagnosis has to be early we need to get the PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test done for both hepatitis B and C. For hepatitis B we do HBV DNA and for Hepatitis C we do HCV RNA analysis. I hope this helps.

| 

Please answer my questions. Does a negative test at 29 weeks for HBsAg, HBcAb, and hepatitis C antibody (202 days) determine that my results are 100% conclusive, and no further testing is needed?

#

Yes, they are conclusive. You do not have hepatitis B and C. No further testing is needed. I would recommend you to get vaccinated for hepatitis B. If you have any further query please ask me.

| 

AST and ALT levels are high since the 11th week of pregnancy. Is it alarming?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 weeks pregnant, and I have all my tests done. All of it seems well. The only concern is the baby is having an echogenic intracardiac focus in left ventricle which was found in anomaly scan following which my doctor prescribed a quad screen test and I did that as well. My doctor...  Read Full »

Are uric acid medications and Paracetamol harmful to the liver?

Query: Hello doctor,My father is 67 and a patient of hypertension and hypothyroidism. Recently, he has been detected with elevated bilirubin levels. Here are his recent symptoms: occasional mild fever (99 to 100.5 F). No apparent cold symptom. Typhoid test came negative. Mild nausea (feeling better after u...  Read Full »

Kindly interpret the blood reports taken for fever, sleeplessness and body pain.

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing this letter for my mother-in-law. She is 65 years old and seems to be healthy. Recently she was suffering ill (fever, sleepless at night, body pain, etc.) thus visited a doctor (physician). After a physical examination and studying certain blood tests (that he was suggest...  Read Full »