Q. Got a TT shot after a fall and having more muscle and body pain. Why?

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava
Published on Jun 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a girl of 20. Three days back, I had a fall from my motorbike on the road. I had some superficial bruises on my right leg and muscle pain on the right side of my body. I took a tetanus shot from my physician. I had Paracetamol 500 mg twice a day for two days to get relief from body pain. But, from the minute I got my TT shot in my left hip, it pains a lot. Gradually, the pain increases and my whole lower limb started paining. My muscle pain in the right side was lowering gradually, but the pain due to the shot increased. The injection site shows redness, swelling and a lump like feeling. I feel very tired, feverish and could not sit and work. I thought this is the muscle pain and so continued with Paracetamol. Yesterday, the pain was severe. As I had severe joint pain and tiredness, my family doctor prescribed me to take Avil 25 mg and Paracetamol 650 mg twice a day. After taking that medicine too, my pain still did not get relieved. I gave an ice massage to the swelling. Today, my left lower limb has a few blood clots like feeling, which pains when I press. If I walk a little, then I feel restless, giddy and tired. But, my pain due to the fall is gradually decreasing. Please give me a quality advice on the same. Thank you.

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

#

• Tetanus injections cause pain and localized swelling. This is the reason for your trouble after getting a tetanus shot.
  • The body and muscle pain, which you are describing, seems to be injury related and they are subsiding too.
  • You need to have anti-inflammatory medicines as Paracetamol might not be sufficient enough to relieve pain in muscles.
  • I suggest Voveran SR (Diclofenac Sodium) tablet 75 or 100 mg once a day and Chymoral forte (trypsin and chymotrypsin) twice a day for three days.
  • Get your blood pressure checked. Also, get a complete blood count if you have a fever. Have plenty of fluids and electrolytes.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

My brother has got a swelling in the snake bite area. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor,My brother got a snake bite in his right-hand middle finger. He has taken three antivenom doses and was under observation for two days. After six days of snake bite and treating it from medication, he has got swelling in snake bite area (right-hand middle finger). He is facing anxiety and ...  Read Full »

I am having heel pain and inflammation from stepping on a nail head.Is this due to a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments?

Query: Hello doctor, I stepped on the head of a nail a week ago. Now, every time I step on that part of my heel, I get this sharp, searing and burning feeling. Is this a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments? What happened? Thank you for giving me an audience; it's extremely appreciated.  Read Full »

Is tetanus injection necessary despite DPT vaccine?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter aged 6 years got a cut and scratch in her body while playing in a new cementing wall from a piece of old and unused iron four days ago. Does she require any toxoid injection?  Read Full »