Q. Why is my mother having throat pain for the past six months?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2021

‏Hi doctor,

My mother is suffering from severe pain in the throat since the past six months. We have been to a lot of physicians, and most of them seem to think it is a sore throat. But, the sore throat medications are not helping. One doctor suggested that the throat pain has got something to do with the acids secreted in the stomach, so she gave some medicines. The pills made her feel little better, but the symptoms returned when the tablets got over. She finds it difficult to swallow, and sometimes pain in the ear. She says that she feels that there is something in her throat. I am very scared that it might be cancer, as none of the medicines are helping her.

#

• Your mother seems to suffer from reflux laryngitis. Like the doctor said, it is the inflammation due to excessive production of acid by acid cells in the pharynx, which causes the acid to reflux into the larynx and cause chronic throat irritation.
  • It produces a foreign body feeling (something stuck down the throat) and causes pain in the throat. It can be referred to the ear as well. We can confirm the same using laryngoscopy. The endoscopy will also rule out any growth or abnormality in the region.
  • Reflux laryngitis is controlled by the following. Kindly discuss with your doctor and take treatment with consent.
  1. Tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg, twice daily in the morning and in the evening before meals. It will give her good relief from acids.
  2. Antacid and anesthetic syrup (Mucaine gel), 20 minutes after meals to neutralize the acid already produced.
  3. Anti-inflammatory medicines like Trypsin and Chymotrypsin can be given temporarily to remove any edema or swelling in the region.
  4. Try avoiding spicy food, alcohol, smoking, coffee, tea, and masalas.
  5. She is advised to take lesser quantity meals and to avoid fasting.
  • Laryngoscopy and blood test will rule out other diseases like Plummer-Vinson syndrome, Globus pharyngis, etc.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|