Q. After taking Haloperidol, my tic disorder got worse with anxiety. What to do?

Dr. Siva Anoop Yella
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 07, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 05, 2021

I suffer from tic disorder from childhood with eye blinking and shoulder movement. It was not a big problem for me in my childhood. After marriage, it became worse with continued coughing. So I decided to take medicines by consulting a psychiatrist. The doctor prescribed me Risperidone and it does not help me. Then he suggested Haloperidol and it worked for me. My tics went away and my performance was back in my foot. But I do not have much energy, felt sleepy with a low sex erection and premature ejaculation. I am taking Haloperidol 1.5 mg twice a day for the last three years. I decided to cut the dosage and now I am taking 0.5 mg once a day. But I have slight tics with a feeling of anxiety and dizziness at night. Last week, I went to the psychiatrist and he suggested me to stop taking antipsychotic medicines. I have general anxiety and it makes the tic bad. He prescribed me Dozap 25 mg for five days and told to take 50 mg for the next five days and 75 mg for the next one month.

#

You are having minor anxiety symptoms with tics. Sometimes, tics get flare up due to anxiety, and hence it is important to cure anxiety as well. The medications prescribed for you are the right ones. But Haloperidol 0.75 mg works well for anxiety also. Dosulepin can be used and it is a good medication for anxiety. Please continue taking these medicines and have a continued follow up with your psychiatrist regularly.

You are having tic disorder.

|