Q. I have itchy small violet areas on my scalp. Please help me.

Dr. Sandhya

I am a 22-year-old male who is 5.11 inches by height and 76 kgs by weight. There are itchy small violet areas on my scalp. I think it started when my hair grew long, but I could not take care of it properly. It started getting itchy at certain parts, and violet spots started appearing on those certain itchy parts and are getting wider each day. I do not think it is dandruff because no white particles are falling when I scratch my head. The said violet spots are getting wider each day.

#

As per the history you provided and the images you sent (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), it is not dandruff but Tinea capitis. Tinea capitis is a form of fungal infection that affects the scalp leading to itchiness and patches. It grows in size and sometimes resembles dandruff when the patches are small in size. It can spread from one person to another. Therefore make sure your belongings are not shared with others and vice versa. Make sure anyone at home who has a similar issue gets treated as well. It is curable with the right treatment, and therefore you do not have to worry. I prescribe:

1. Capsule Itraconazole 200 mg once daily after food for two weeks.

2. Ketoconazole + Zinc pyrithione shampoo to be used on the hair once in two days for atleast a month. Apply, lather, and keep for 10 minutes before washing it off.

3. Ketoconazole 2% cream to be applied on the affected area twice a day.

4. Tablet Cetirizine 10 mg one tablet a day one hour before going to bed at night (do not drive or go out after taking the tablet ).

Kindly follow the above advice and follow up with me for evaluation and further treatment.

|