Q. I have tinnitus in ear. Is there anything I can do?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 22, 2018

I had an otitis media with effusion a year back. Meaning, a bit more than a year ago. My ears never cleared properly. If I move my jaw or even slightly yawn, I hear dramatic crackling sounds from my ears. They do not feel very blocked, and my hearing is fine. However, I do still have tinnitus in my left ear. Is there anything I can do?

#

1. It can be due to eustachian tube block.
  2. Did you ever get tympanometry done? If yes can you send me reports, tympanometry is done to check middle ear pressure (which is not maintained in eustachian tube block).
  3. Eustachian tube block can be due to allergy or due to sinusitis. Do you have any symptoms suggestive of allergic rhinitis like excessive sneezing or watering from nose or symptoms of sinusitis like a headache and post nasal drip.
  4. Tinnitus can also be due to a block of the tube if it is associated with tube block or associated with hearing loss, that can be predicted only which you get tympanometry and pure tone audiometry done.
  5. Eustachian tube block can be secondary to throat infection also. Do you have any history of recurrent tonsillitis or pharyngitis? Do you have symptoms of nose block or snoring?

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

1. Yes, that sounds logical. I can successfully do the Valsalva maneuver, but it feels blocked every now and then, especially in the morning.
  2. No. I was hoping this would resolve itself with time, so I have not been to my GP on this matter.
  3. I do have some mild allergies, mostly present during the summer months. Headaches? Sometimes, but not very often. Not sure about postnasal drip.
  4. I see.
  5. I had very frequent tonsillitis as a child and young adult. I do snore quite a lot and my nose is blocked every now and then.

Any over-the-counter drug I can start using to potentially better the situation? Or prescribed drugs? Of course, I would like to avoid any surgery. Thanks for a very prompt and detailed answer. Very much appreciated.

#

1. It seems your ear block is due to the throat problem. You might have enlarged tonsils (for that I need to see your throat and oropharynx if you can send me a picture) and enlarged adenoids (for which X-ray nasopharynx soft tissue lateral view is needed).
  2. You can continue doing Valsalva and you can take decongestant nose drops like 0.1 % Xylometazoline for one week followed by steroid nasal spray for four weeks (two puffs daily in both nostrils). Also, take mucolytics like N-acetylcysteine 1200 mg once daily for one week.
  3. I will suggest you get tympanometry and pure tone audiometry was done to rule out if there is any other middle ear pathology or it is just secondary to the throat infection.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|