Q. I have tinnitus in ear. Is there anything I can do?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Jun 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 22, 2018

I had an otitis media with effusion a year back. Meaning, a bit more than a year ago. My ears never cleared properly. If I move my jaw or even slightly yawn, I hear dramatic crackling sounds from my ears. They do not feel very blocked, and my hearing is fine. However, I do still have tinnitus in my left ear. Is there anything I can do?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

1. It can be due to eustachian tube block.
  2. Did you ever get tympanometry done? If yes can you send me reports, tympanometry is done to check middle ear pressure (which is not maintained in eustachian tube block).
  3. Eustachian tube block can be due to allergy or due to sinusitis. Do you have any symptoms suggestive of allergic rhinitis like excessive sneezing or watering from nose or symptoms of sinusitis like a headache and post nasal drip.
  4. Tinnitus can also be due to a block of the tube if it is associated with tube block or associated with hearing loss, that can be predicted only which you get tympanometry and pure tone audiometry done.
  5. Eustachian tube block can be secondary to throat infection also. Do you have any history of recurrent tonsillitis or pharyngitis? Do you have symptoms of nose block or snoring?

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

1. Yes, that sounds logical. I can successfully do the Valsalva maneuver, but it feels blocked every now and then, especially in the morning.
  2. No. I was hoping this would resolve itself with time, so I have not been to my GP on this matter.
  3. I do have some mild allergies, mostly present during the summer months. Headaches? Sometimes, but not very often. Not sure about postnasal drip.
  4. I see.
  5. I had very frequent tonsillitis as a child and young adult. I do snore quite a lot and my nose is blocked every now and then.

Any over-the-counter drug I can start using to potentially better the situation? Or prescribed drugs? Of course, I would like to avoid any surgery. Thanks for a very prompt and detailed answer. Very much appreciated.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

1. It seems your ear block is due to the throat problem. You might have enlarged tonsils (for that I need to see your throat and oropharynx if you can send me a picture) and enlarged adenoids (for which X-ray nasopharynx soft tissue lateral view is needed).
  2. You can continue doing Valsalva and you can take decongestant nose drops like 0.1 % Xylometazoline for one week followed by steroid nasal spray for four weeks (two puffs daily in both nostrils). Also, take mucolytics like N-acetylcysteine 1200 mg once daily for one week.
  3. I will suggest you get tympanometry and pure tone audiometry was done to rule out if there is any other middle ear pathology or it is just secondary to the throat infection.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of tinnitus is usually idiopathic. Every normal person can hear that sound many times in their lives. It goes away as suddenly as it had started. There is no reason for worrying as you have no hearing loss. So relax, do not worry as these kinds of tinnitus...  Read Full

What would you advise for clogging of ears and tinnitus after a flu?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 44 year old female, mother of 2, 165 cm tall and 75 kg weight. Two months ago, I fell ill with a bad flu (may have been also an acute viral infection) with high temp (39 degrees), probable inflammation in the sinuses, nose, and throat and sinuses pain. The first antibiotic (Klaci...  Read Full >>

Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The clogging of ears and ringing sensation (tinnitus) are probably due to accumulation of fluid in your middle ear post eustachian tube blockage, as a result of the upper respiratory tract infection you had had previously, a condition known as serous otitis media. I ...  Read Full

Can mold cause ear infections?

Query: Hello doctor, Last year, I noticed that my 3 year old's tonsils were very large. I contacted his doctor. But, he could not find anything wrong. I later noticed him yelling or talking loudly and asking me to repeat a lot. So, I had a¬†hearing test done and he failed. They explained that he had a flui...  Read Full >>

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your kid has a serous otitis media. The mild conductive hearing loss is due to this. In kids the most common cause is adenotonsillitis. My advice is to get a nasopharynx lateral view X-ray done for adenoids and send me the pictures. Give him an oral decongestant syrup ...  Read Full