Q. I hear high pitched ringing sound in my ears and dimmed echo in my head. Could it be treated?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
Published on Dec 03, 2019

I am a hard-working man in my mid-60s. Two years ago a 15 lb street light fell on my head, a 10 feet drop. Since then I have been having a problem with my ear, a dimmed echo in my head when I speak and frequent high pitched ringing that leads to aggravating headaches. This could not be solved by the doctors and nothing was found in any tests such as MRI, and CT.

Unfortunately, it is been a real struggle. I do not sleep well, and it is burdening my life. Is that a known problem? Could it be treated? Any help and advice could make a big difference.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

Tinnitus is often described as a ringing in the ears like roaring, clicking, hissing, or buzzing which cannot be attributed to an external source. Post-traumatic tinnitus usually follows head and neck injuries. Do you have tinnitus in both the ears or in one ear? Any history of hearing loss? Any triggers like exposure to loud noise? Does loud noise or loud music hurt you?

Well, for treating your tinnitus other causes for tinnitus need to be ruled out. Compacted ear wax. Drug-induced as if you are on high doses of Aspirin for any other reason. Management involves a multidisciplinary approach. Good to know your CT (computed tomography) and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) being absolutely normal.

I would suggest you go to an ENT specialist for audiometry to see for any hearing loss. Ear wax removal if any. Drugs cannot cure tinnitus, though may help to reduce the severity of symptoms. Take Tryptomer (Amitriptyline) 10 mg half an hour before you sleep, tablet Alprax (Alprazolam) an anti-anxiety drug 0.5 mg at bed time should help you to get some sleep. Avoid tea, coffee, and alcohol.

Masking devices: Ear devices similar to hearing aids that produce a continuous low-level white noise that suppresses tinnitus.

Tinnitus retraining device, also a wearable device that delivers a mask to the specific frequencies of the tinnitus you experience. Over time, it will accustom you to the tinnitus. Cognitive behavioral therapy and counseling also help a lot.

In the end, there are few herbal products like Ringstop ear drops and Clear tinnitus that has helped a few to fight tinnitus, though results are individualized and the outcome cannot be assured.

| 

What can cause very sore joints and muscles?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been sick for the last two years with the following symptoms. Fatigue, ringing in ears, very sore joints, sore muscles, follicular carcinoma, passing out, and extreme headaches. I am taking Synthroid currently. I just had a flow cytometry and numerous bouts of blood work. I have a...  Read Full »

Tinnitus - ringing sounds in the ears

Article Overview: Tinnitus is the presence of noise or sound in the ear. It can occur due to diseases in the ear or any systemic diseases like high blood pressure. The management involves a thorough hearing testing and further treatment based on the cause. Read Article

Dr. Vaishali Mehta

Tinnitus is ringing sounds in the ears. The person experiencing it may describe it as roaring, humming or a hissing sound in the ears. This kind of noise can be very annoying and disturbing to the one facing this problem. Sometimes it may be so severe, as to disturb the sleep of a person. Causes of...  Read Article

Tinnitus - a Cause for Concern

Article Overview: This article gives a brief overview of tinnitus, the various risk factors, the diagnostic tools available and the basic plan of management. Read Article

Tinnitus is a very common symptom encountered in day-to-day life. A person often describes it as a 'ringing sensation' in the ears or may perceive it as hissing, clicking, whistling, rustling sounds, in the absence of external sounds. It may be intermittent or continuous and is present in one or bot...  Read Article