Q. Why am I hearing metallic scratching sound for the past one month?

Published on Apr 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 29, 2019

I am continuously hearing a metallic scratching sound for the past one month. Best described as like the sound of cricket insects as heard in the dead of night. I am taking medication, namely, Syndopa plus, Rasalect, Pramipex ER3, Rozucor, and Amantrel for Parkinson for last seven years.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I understand that you have tinnitus. Has it been there only for a month? Is it associated with any decreased hearing? Is it there in both ears? Is the tinnitus accompanied by vertigo or vomiting sensation or fullness in ears? Have you done any testing for the same?

When a patient comes to us with symptoms like yours we ask for all these details in history to rule out any neuroma in the nerve or age-related hearing loss or Meniere's disease. A basic investigation that we ask is pure tone audiogram. Additionally, I would suggest you get a SISI (short increment sensitivity index) test done. These two should give us a fair idea and help us rule out the above conditions and check for the cause of tinnitus. If the tinnitus does not have any cause we can help you tolerate it using tinnitus matching and masking. Some centers also provide tinnitus retraining therapy. These are useful. Certain medications like Caroverine and Nicotinic acid also are helpful in improving the condition.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of tinnitus is usually idiopathic. Every normal person can hear that sound many times in their lives. It goes away as suddenly as it had started. There is no reason for worrying as you have no hearing loss. So relax, do not worry as these kinds of tinnitus...  Read Full

Can you suggest some medicine for ear blockage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a left ear blockage, and it happens to me many times. Blockages get open when I move my jaw. I am suffering from this issue for the past two to three years, but not regularly. Commonly, I used to get it after swimming and due to cold. I am not taking any medicine ri...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kumar M

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need a proper evaluation with audiogram and impedance to prevent recurrence. I suggest you tablet Allercet L (Levocetirizine) one at night with Nasivion nasal drops two drops twice daily for five days. Please review with reports. Revert with reports to an ENT otolary...  Read Full

Tinnitus - ringing sounds in the ears

Article Overview: Tinnitus is the presence of noise or sound in the ear. It can occur due to diseases in the ear or any systemic diseases like high blood pressure. The management involves a thorough hearing testing and further treatment based on the cause. Read Article

Dr. Vaishali Mehta

Tinnitus is ringing sounds in the ears. The person experiencing it may describe it as roaring, humming or a hissing sound in the ears. This kind of noise can be very annoying and disturbing to the one facing this problem. Sometimes it may be so severe, as to disturb the sleep of a person. Causes of...  Read Article