Q. I have small inflamed red bumps on the tip of the tongue with burning sensation. Please help.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

I have a burning tongue. I have had the burning sensation for about three weeks. I have small inflamed flat red bumps on the tip of my tongue and it looks smooth but only on the tip of my tongue.

I have noticed a thickening on the right side of my tongue where the white line on the side usually is, the left is flat but the right is a sort of swollen and thick, I am not sure how long it has been there I have just noticed today.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentistry Endodontist
#

Swellings over the tongue and buring sensation can be due to tons of reasons. Most of them are quite serious and need immediate attention. But in your case, it might be due to ulceration from the sharp tooth.

Kindly feel the lower front teeth and upper and lower teeth from your right jaw and let me know whether they are sharp? The answer will be decisive and very important in making the exact diagnosis. An image of the ulcers over your tongue will be of great help. Kindly upload the image to me and I will assist you immediately.

Meanwhile, I would recommed:

Rexidine M Forte gel (Chlorhexidine + Metronidazole + Lignocaine), tablet Zincovit (zinc, selenium, and vitamin-c) one tablet OD for 15 days.

Use a soft brush. Avoid tongue scraping for now. Avoid spicy food.

Image will help me to rule out any fungal or other serious issues so, it would be best to have a look at the image without wasting any further time and start the treatment and management accordingly. I would assist you as soon as I get the image.

For now, I am just ruling out trauma from the sharp tooth on the front and right side causing ulcerations and burning sensation. Rest, when I see the image.

Might be due to trauma from sharp tooth or due to brushing. To rule out other serious causes, I need to see the image of the tongue.

Ulceration from trauma leading to a burning sensation.

| 

I have attached the file.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentistry Endodontist
#

I went through the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity), because of the flash or something the image looks too whitish or bright. Is it possible to get an image without a flash or less bright to differentiate the colors. Have you started the medications?

Although the right side seems to be swollen but could you kindly run your finger over the right upper and lower teeth and let me know if any sharp edges. Also, let me know if any medical history or medicines you are on? Kindly palpate the lymph nodes below the ear and let me know whether it is painful. If any history of radiation lately (x-rays)?

Dry mouth can also cause these issues. We will have to proceed differently.

Apply the Rexidine M Forte Gel and Candid Mouth pain (Clotrimazole 1%).

| 

I cannot feel any pain behind my ear when I touch and no recent x-rays. Bottom lower right is slightly sharp, but the rest are normal I would say I am taking vitamins.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentistry Endodontist
#

It is a clear image (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As you have mentioned no other medical history, no radiation or dry mouth and lymph node are not painful so I can easily rule out that nothing to be worried about.

If the swelling was due to anything serious issue which I do not want to name (lymph nodes would be hard and painful on palpation). Great relief from my side. As you are fine and it is nothing serious in any kind.

I find mild Candidiasis. Use a tongue scraper, Candid mouth paint (Clotrimazole 1%) Rexidine M forte gel (Chlorhexidine+ Metronidazole + Lignocaine). Keep the tongue clean and hydrated. Use any mouthwash available. They all work the same. You will be fine in a week. Need to grind the lower sharp teeth edges as it is creating constant irritation hence the swelling. Kindly follow these two medications along with the multivitamin.

|