iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInternal MedicinetongueWhat could be the cluster white spots on tongue which do not look like ulcers?

I have some white spots on tongue with no pain or irritation. Is this serious?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At July 5, 2020
Reviewed AtJanuary 30, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have noticed a cluster of white spots on my tongue. I do not believe they to be ulcers as I have had them before in the past. They do not hurt and I feel no pain. I am worried that it might be something more serious. Can you confirm what it might be?

Answered by Dr. Pooja Pardhi


Welcome to iclinq.com.

I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As you have mentioned that you had it before also and there is no pain. I think it is either some infection like a fungal infection which we call oral thrush or some nutritional deficiencies. More of looking like oral thrush. I suggest you to maintain good oral hygiene and use mouthwash twice daily, in the morning and at bedtime.

Include more fruits and green leafy vegetables in your diet. If you have any addictions, just stop using them. Get your blood sugar levels checked. You can take multivitamin and minerals supplements especially B-complex, Zinc and Vitamin C. Include calcium-rich foodstuff like milk, milk products, and eggs in your diet. If it persists for more than one week consult a physician.

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

Just a follow up from the painless sores on my tongue. I have noticed that it has been getting better but after I eat food the sore becomes more white. It has been two weeks now and the sore has not completely gone. It is less white than before but it gets more white after eating food. I am not sure if it is oral thrush as previously suggested.

Answered by Dr. Pooja Pardhi


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

As you have mentioned that it is persistent for more than two weeks now. I suggest you to consult an ENT specialist or OMFS (oralmaxillo-facial surgeon). Please do not delay in consulting. Such painless lesions can be a serious problem. Maintain good nutrition. Do not take spicy food. Maintain good oral hygiene. Get your blood sugar levels done.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy