Q. Inspite of taking medicines for tonsil infection, I still have pain in throat. Why?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

I had tonsil infection last week for which I went to the doctor who gave me antibiotics and pain killer. My throat infection is healed, but still I am having pain in my throat. Again I went to the doctor and he told it is lymph swelling and he prescribed me with Cetirizine and pain killer. I am taking this medicine from the last two days but I am not getting any relief still I am having pain on one side of the throat. Please suggest.

#

Please take a picture of the back of the throat with open mouth showing details of the affected area and send to me. Is the lymph node palpable? Is there any fever? Did you complete the antibiotic course fully or did you stop abruptly?

I do not have a fever. I have completed the antibiotics course fully. I had tonsil on my right side but I am having pain on the left side.

#

We are happy to help you.

I went through the pictures you sent. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Thanks for sending the blood investigations, doctor's prescriptions and your throat photographs. I must say that you have taken the pains to click clear and objective pictures and carefully sent them across to me. Commendable.

Now, the Doctor had first given you a course of antibiotics, gargles, painkillers, and anti-inflammatory medications. You had rightly completed the course and then went back to him. Thereafter he gave you the Cetirizine tablets. He has documented that you were feeling better that day. How much better were you feeling?

When I see your throat now, it is still congested and the tonsils are still quite enlarged. Are your tonsils this way usually? Do you get frequent sore throat problems since childhood? Do these infections result in fever or earache or nasal complaints or cough in you?

What I would suggest now is you would need some form of gargles. You may either take warm saline gargles multiple times daily or you may take Dressin or Tantum (Benzydamine) gargles, after mixing in equal amounts of water. I would also suggest you to take an anti-inflammatory tablet like Chymoral forte (Trypsin and Chymotrypsin) thrice daily before meals for five days. Stay indoors and drink plenty of warm fluids. Do not eat anything from the fridge. Take steam inhalation. If the lymph node swelling does not subside or your symptoms worsen in two days time you may need a stronger antibiotic.

Have a normal diet without excessive oil or spice or masala in it. Eat multiple times but of less quantity each time so that there is some food always inside the stomach and there won't be acid piling up.

Do revert back to me with more details so that we can help you. Try not visiting any hospital for these complaints as I feel that will increase your risk of contracting the deadly virus and complicate the delicate situation. Do ask all your queries to me and I shall help you.

When I had an infection, that time my tonsils were too much pain full and I was having pain in the neck and having soo much cough. Also now it is not that painful, my cough is also healed to a good amount and my voice is also normal. Form childhood I used to have tonsil infection. Every year I think once I used to have an infection. I do not remember before infection how much enlarged my tonsil was so I cannot give clarity about that. I only had some dry cough other than this I do not have any fever, earache, and nose congestion.

#

Thanks for getting back with the necessary details.

Take the medicines I told you in addition to the doctor's medicine. You will be fine. Follow all the precautions I told you and give it at least four to five days.

If you have been having tonsil problems since childhood I suggest you think of getting the tonsils removed. The presence of such enlarged tonsils at your age is worrisome and will cause frequent issues rather than be of any benefit. Rather tonsils can cause repeated fever, sore throat, earache, need for strong antibiotics, lymph node enlargements, chest infections, etc. So I would suggest you think of tonsillectomy at the appropriate time after the current bout of virus scare.

Till then we are always with you to relieve you of your worries and answer all your queries.

|