Q. Shall we go ahead with GA for dental procedures of my 2. 6 years old?

Answered by
Dr. Naveen Thomas
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2020

Hi doctor,

My son is 2.6 years old. His four front teeth look black now. The enamel did not form in the front teeth when it erupted. Also, the molars have very deep cavity as can be seen in the image and there are other small cavities too. His teeth were crooked and got decayed so fast. The pedodontist suggests that the front four teeth will be taken out and RCT will be done on the two molars and the cavities have to be filled. All this will be done under GA. I am afraid as there has been cases where child died because of improper dosage of anesthesia. Please help as I am not sure of what to do now. Should I go ahead with the procedures? Or should I wait for some time?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • There is no need for such procedure at this age. The front four teeth will usually never cause any pain to the child, but it has to remain there to maintain the space till the permanent teeth come in its space. So, leave the front four teeth as it is.
  • The molar teeth, which has a cavity, can be filled for the time being using temporary medicated filling. If only there is pain, then you need to do root canal treatment.
  • It is always best to avoid general anesthesia unless absolute emergency. If your child is cooperative, then no need for anesthesia.
  • If there is no pain or if the child has mild pain, then medicines are enough to reduce pain till four or five years when he can sit cooperatively.

For further information consult a pedodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pedodontist

Thank you doctor,

The molars are highly decayed. But, the child does not complain of pain yet. Shall I just go with filling?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • Anesthesia is usually a safe procedure, but I will personally recommend for emergency procedure and this is definitely not an emergency.
  • First, just get the molar teeth filled by temporary medication and after 10 days fill it permanently, if there is no pain involved currently.
  • The front teeth have gone bad since its development due to fast caries infection. But, you do not have to worry till there is no pain.
  • So, leave as it is. The only treatment presently required is to fill the molar teeth. Do not worry about the front teeth.

For further information consult a pedodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pedodontist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
My baby has got soft teeth that chip on biting. What am I to do?

Hello doctor, My 8 year old son was diagnosed with a possible bone marrow failure during monitoring for low platelets when he was three years old. His biopsy showed areas of 20 % cellularity. Last year his counts were WBC 13.8, RBC 4.83, hemoglobin ...   Read full

Root Canal Treatment

It shows the symptoms like pain, through a chronically infected tooth might be symptomless and can be diagnosed during a routine dental examination ...   Read full

My teeth are yellow.I am not even smiling because of embarrassment. Please help.

There are two ways by which tooth gets discolored: a) External factors b) Internal factors a) External factor: The change in the color of the tooth topically by external agents ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
The Perils of Social Media Addiction
Social media addiction affects both physical and mental health. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
COVID-19 - Second Wave
The second wave of COVID-19 is a red flag. Read more to know about the precautionary measures.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Pedodontist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.