Q. Shall we go ahead with GA for dental procedures of my 2. 6 years old?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Oct 09, 2016

My son is 2.6 years old. His four front teeth look black now. The enamel did not form in the front teeth when it erupted. Also, the molars have very deep cavity as can be seen in the image and there are other small cavities too. His teeth were crooked and got decayed so fast. The pedodontist suggests that the front four teeth will be taken out and RCT will be done on the two molars and the cavities have to be filled. All this will be done under GA. I am afraid as there has been cases where child died because of improper dosage of anesthesia. Please help as I am not sure of what to do now. Should I go ahead with the procedures? Or should I wait for some time?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• There is no need for such procedure at this age. The front four teeth will usually never cause any pain to the child, but it has to remain there to maintain the space till the permanent teeth come in its space. So, leave the front four teeth as it is.
  • The molar teeth, which has a cavity, can be filled for the time being using temporary medicated filling. If only there is pain, then you need to do root canal treatment.
  • It is always best to avoid general anesthesia unless absolute emergency. If your child is cooperative, then no need for anesthesia.
  • If there is no pain or if the child has mild pain, then medicines are enough to reduce pain till four or five years when he can sit cooperatively.

For further information consult a pedodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pedodontist

The molars are highly decayed. But, the child does not complain of pain yet. Shall I just go with filling?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• Anesthesia is usually a safe procedure, but I will personally recommend for emergency procedure and this is definitely not an emergency.
  • First, just get the molar teeth filled by temporary medication and after 10 days fill it permanently, if there is no pain involved currently.
  • The front teeth have gone bad since its development due to fast caries infection. But, you do not have to worry till there is no pain.
  • So, leave as it is. The only treatment presently required is to fill the molar teeth. Do not worry about the front teeth.

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted. Is it better to remove?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited a dentist and he completed deep cleaning of all four quadrants. I got composite fillings on one side of the mouth for five cavities (right side). However, I still have four cavities on the left side. I have two options. Wait for three more months and take care of it, as my in...  Read Full »

Kindly advise a home remedy for tooth decay during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have acid erosion or decay in the back of my bottom front teeth. They are chipping at the gumline. I have a past history of bulimia and although after years I have finally recovered. Long ago, I have had decay in the back row. What is a good home remedy for now that I can use? I am ...  Read Full »

What treatment will help sensitive tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having sensitivity in the upper right tooth. There is no ditch or cavity but I feel the sensitivity while eating sweets. What could be the treatment option for it?  Read Full »

Ask a Pedodontist Now