Q. My daughter is grinding her teeth badly. Why?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My daughter is 14 months old. I had given her a 5 mL dosage of Albendazole before a month. She was doing all fine. From the last week, she has a cold and cough. It is not bad and, whenever she has a cold, she recovers fast.  This time, she is grinding her teeth so bad. I was advised that I should have given the second dose of the worm infection in 21 days, but I skipped. Will it be harmful if I give the remaining dose now? Or when should I give the second dose?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• It is common for babies of this age group to exhibit this phenomenon, and it has nothing to do with Albendazole.
  • It is because children at this age start to develop molar teeth, which is a little bit painful and irritating. So, do not worry. It is a time bound process and will slowly fade away.
  • In the meanwhile, you can either use a teething ring or your finger to massage the babies gums for alleviating the pain.
  • Albendazole is commonly used once in every six months, so it is fine if you do not give the dose now.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

What should I do for her cold? It is now thick and yellow. How long will it take to get alright? What food should I give? Can I give her fruits?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• You can give syrup Sinarest (Acetaminophen, Chlorpheniramine and Pseudoephedrine) and syrup Asthakind (Terbutaline) 2 mL thrice a day for up to five days for a cough and cold.
  • You can give homecooked mashed foods. Only avoid almonds and nuts even if they are crushed till the child is 2 years of age.
  • She should be alright after the course of medications.

|