iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDentistrytooth painI have been suffering from throbbing tooth ache and pain in my gums. Please help.

How to treat throbbing tooth ache and pain in the gums?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At July 1, 2023
Reviewed AtMay 14, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have been suffering from throbbing tooth ache and pain in my gums. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern.

I have gone through your reports (attachments are hidden to protect the patient's identity), The second premolar on your left upper back tooth region seems severely decayed. As you can see in the picture, the brown spot in the tooth is the decay. It is extensive and deep enough involving the dental pulp which is the reason for the throbbing pain, as you have described. Also, the decay is in between the teeth, causing pain in the gums. For immediate pain relief, please take tablet Paracetamol 500 mg orally for eight hours for two days. This is a mild pain killer with the least side effects. But taking painkillers would not be a solution for it. I advise you to visit a nearby dentist and take an X-ray of the particular tooth. The X-ray will confirm how far the decay has gone and decide the treatment plan. Depending on the amount of tooth structure involved, it could be a simple filling or even root canal treatment. Getting the proper treatment done only will help you eliminate dental pain unlike any other pain in the body, which can be addressed with just tablets.

I hope this information will help.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Geethanjali. S. S
Dr. Geethanjali. S. S


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

tooth paindental caries

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy