Q. When can root canal treatment be done in a broken tooth with severe pain?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 12, 2019

One of my fillings broke off a week ago and the next day I was in extreme pain. I went to a dentist where she prescribed me Amoxicillin 500 mg and Ibuprofen 800 mg for seven days. A day after my medication was finished I was getting extremely sharp pain in the broken tooth and jaw, it was hot and throbbing and kept waking me up in the night. I could not put any pressure on it ans Ibuprofen did not decrease the pain at all. I finally went to the dentist for a filling unrelated to what was going on but she instead put a temporary filling on the one that is hurting. But two days later back on 800 mg Ibuprofen the pain has not stopped and it still is continuing to hurt as bad as it has before.

She suggested that the molar behind the broken one needs a root canal, but I have to wait for four weeks for it to be approved. Now she is also suggesting that I get a root canal for the badly broken one to try and save it but out of the two, the broken one is causing more pain and I do not think I can wait an extra four weeks to get it approved. Should I just have that one extracted?

#

You are probably having unbearable pain due to the increasing infection below that badly broken tooth. This can be managed by opening up the infection and giving an open dressing to relieve the pain and pressure. Once opened up, the pain subsides and you can wait for another four weeks to get the root canal completed.

If you think you cannot manage the pain for another four weeks, then proceed with tooth removal (for the badly broken one). But you have to get it replaced. Wish your pain comes down sooner. Hope it helps.

|