Q. Will a cavitated tooth pain more than a necrotic tooth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Will a cavity tooth that hits the nerve hurt worse than a necrotic tooth? I have two teeth that are bothering me but are next to each other. I am getting one pulled, but I am not sure on 100 % on which one is bothering me. I think it is the cavity that has hit the nerve. Kindly advice.

Do you have a question on Toothache or Tooth Cavity?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Naveen Thomas

BACHELOR OF DENTAL SURGERY
Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist

Necrotic roots of the tooth cause pain only if the pus formation has increased the pressure inside. The tooth which has a large cavity but nerves are vital is very painful since nerves are stimulated at the slightest touch of fluids etc. You need to ask for root canal treatment on both the tooth as soon as possible. Or else go for extraction. You will need antibiotics and painkillers.

Is it okay to get tooth filled without getting it cleaned post-five-day prescription of tablets?
Query: Hello doctor, Is it okay to get a tooth cavity filled without getting it cleaned post-five-day prescription of two tablets? Does this have consequences?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cavity is always cleaned before filling it up. Five days medication is fine that is to subside any further infection. Caries, if present, are never left as it is. There may be another case if it is simply a hole or broken area and not carious but that is also irr...  Read Full

Can calcium hydroxide cause toothache while root canal treatment?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a crown in one of my teeth on the lower left bottom. The crown came off. I went to the dentist who suggested root canal even when I did not have any problem. The root canal was completed and the crown was placed. After a few days, my teeth used to pain only on consuming hot wate...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question I can understand your concern. The pain may be because of post RCT infection or because of the accessory canal in the root that becomes sometimes difficult to manage. In case it in infection you need to take antibiotics and that will he...  Read Full

Please suggest safe painkillers for toothache.
Query: Hi doctor, I have been having pain inside my mouth. At the top of my mouth, it is like a bubble and so painful. The nerves are making me having a toothache on the right side of my mouth. I have had this for three days now and took a few painkillers. Now, my stomach hurts like bloating and twitching....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have got gastritis due to painkillers. Avoid spicy, fatty and oily food. Have some walk after having food instead of taking rest and take multiple small meals instead of heavy meals. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any. You can get prescribed tablet Pan DSR 40 mg (Domp...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now