Q. Will a cavitated tooth pain more than a necrotic tooth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Sep 10, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

Will a cavity tooth that hits the nerve hurt worse than a necrotic tooth? I have two teeth that are bothering me but are next to each other. I am getting one pulled, but I am not sure on 100 % on which one is bothering me. I think it is the cavity that has hit the nerve. Kindly advice.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

Necrotic roots of the tooth cause pain only if the pus formation has increased the pressure inside. The tooth which has a large cavity but nerves are vital is very painful since nerves are stimulated at the slightest touch of fluids etc. You need to ask for root canal treatment on both the tooth as soon as possible. Or else go for extraction. You will need antibiotics and painkillers.

| 

Can calcium hydroxide cause toothache while root canal treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a crown in one of my teeth on the lower left bottom. The crown came off. I went to the dentist who suggested root canal even when I did not have any problem. The root canal was completed and the crown was placed. After a few days, my teeth used to pain only on consuming hot wate...  Read Full »

Why am I having toothache with hard bump in the gum?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in my molar tooth on lower right side and under it is a hard bump in my gum. The pain is only when I eat or touch bump or tooth. Please help.  Read Full »

Is it okay to get tooth filled without getting it cleaned post-five-day prescription of tablets?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it okay to get a tooth cavity filled without getting it cleaned post-five-day prescription of two tablets? Does this have consequences?  Read Full »