Q. Should a pregnant woman with a TSH level of 6. 98 mIU/mL take Thyroxine tablets?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 18, 2022 and last reviewed on: Dec 06, 2022

I am 22 weeks pregnant. Recently, I got my TSH level checked, and the result was 6.98 mIU/mL. The normal range shows from 0.4 to 7 mIU/mL.

Is there any need to take a Thyroxine tablet?

Kindly let me know.

#

I understand your concern.

I just read your query, and from what you have mentioned, you have a normal TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). However, it would be best to have your T3, and T4 checked to be on the safe side.

If you are not having any thyroid disorder previously and are not on any treatment, then there is no need to take any treatment for it.

Just repeat your entire thyroid function test every four weeks, and then we will review it again.

I would also suggest you change your laboratory and get it tested elsewhere to ensure your results are correct since you are pregnant, and we do not want to take any chances.

I hope you find my advice beneficial.

|