Q. Can Metformin help lose weight in type 1 diabetic patients?

Dr. J. N. Naidu
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I am a type 1 diabetic patient currently on Ryzodeg Insulin and had used Levemir (Insulin detemir) in the past. I am struggling to manage my weight. Can using Metformin along with Insulin help me in losing weight?

Kindly guide.

#

I understand your concern. Metformin (Metformin hydrochloride, Povidone, and Magnesium Stearate) 500 mg is a drug of choice for patients with type 2 diabetes. Overweight patients with type 2 diabetes can use Metformin to reduce their weight.

Please note - Metformin is not formally recommended as adjunct therapy with Insulin in type 1 diabetes. But several research studies have shown that Metformin use reduces Insulin requirement and has beneficial effects.

Feel free to contact me for further assistance.

|