Q. How to manage symptoms and treat uncontrolled hypertension?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

I am 46 years old. I have had untreated high blood pressure for years. As a result, I am now having breathlessness, chest pressure and pain, lightheadedness, fatigue, pain in the ears, jaw, arms, chest to back, pounding in my chest, ears, and head, and daily headaches. The same incident has been happening for about a year and is increasing in severity. I have for years been very active and excited (cycling) for up to four hours a day, and five days a week. However, my ability to do my workouts has steadily decreased over the past years, and I can no longer work out very severely without feeling the following day.

My blood pressure is as low as 148/98 mm of Hg and as high as 186/107 mm of Hg, taken when I am rested. I never get a normal reading. The average is around 166/107 mm of Hg. My husband thinks I should manage this on my own. He thinks a doctor would only give me expensive medicines that would not be as good as home care. But I am afraid. I never felt well.

Should I consult a doctor?

#

I read your query and can understand your concern.

Your symptoms are most likely due to uncontrolled blood pressure, which causes headaches, chest pain, difficulty breathing, and fatigue.

Uncontrolled hypertension could lead to severe cardiovascular, cerebrovascular, kidney, and eye complications.

The target is below 140/90 mm of Hg all the time.

The chest pressure could be due to heart attacks. Can you describe the pain? Is it associated with efforts?

I suggest taking tablet Ramipril 2.5 mg once daily. But, please consult a physician, discuss with them, and start taking the medications with their consent.

Also, monitoring blood pressure is essential to increase the dose or changing the medication. So, follow-up to achieve the target blood pressure.

Thank you and take care.

|