iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersHIV/AIDS specialistunprotected sexI had unprotected sex with an unknown woman. Will I get HIV?

Can unprotected sex for a minute cause HIV?

Can unprotected sex for a minute cause HIV?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 14, 2018
Reviewed AtJanuary 17, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I had unprotected sex with an unknown woman hardly for a minute about a month back. After about four days, I got cold and a kind of sore throat, but not exactly sore throat. I got tested for HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) after 15 days and it came back negative. Now, for the past one week, I have a feeling of something stuck in the throat and a constant need to clear the throat. But, I have not experienced any pain or difficulty in swallowing. I am extremely stressed, anxious and in fear of HIV. I am not able to do anything or concentrate on anything for the past one month. In spite of all this, I have been travelling a lot for the past one month. The only thing I can rely on is that after the act she asked me whether I was clean. Please help.

Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.

The chance of transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) by single unprotected intercourse with a HIV positive person is 1/200 to 1/1000. It is very low. She may be negative, so she might have asked it. Probably, the test done was antibodies tests. It is considered as conclusive after three months. You can go for HIV-1 and 2 RNA PCR (polymerase chain reaction) at this stage to allay your anxiety. The symptoms are not specific and do not suggest HIV. It may be due to any simple respiratory infection. You can get it examined by an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist to relieve your anxiety about throat infection.

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

Does anxiety and extreme stress lead to lot of sweating? I am constantly thinking about this and it leads to mild headache. After bowel movement, I am having burning sensation for the last three to four days. Could this be gastric problem? I am having outside food for the last 20 days. Kindly suggest medicine for this.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, the symptoms may be due to anxiety. So, relax and do yoga or meditation. Avoid hot spicy foods and carbonated drinks. Take chewable antacids or syrup. Take Ranitidine twice daily.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra
Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

HIV/AIDS specialist

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy