Q. Can unprotected sex for a minute cause HIV?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

I had unprotected sex with an unknown woman hardly for a minute about a month back. After about four days, I got cold and a kind of sore throat, but not exactly sore throat. I got tested for HIV after 15 days and it came back negative. Now, for the past one week, I have a feeling of something stuck in the throat and a constant need to clear the throat. But, I have not experienced any pain or difficulty in swallowing. I am extremely stressed, anxious and in fear of HIV. I am not able to do anything or concentrate on anything for the past one month. In spite of all this, I have been travelling a lot for the past one month. The only thing I can rely on is that after the act she asked me whether I was clean. Please help.

#

• The chance of transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) by single unprotected intercourse with a HIV positive person is 1/200 to 1/1000. It is very low. She may be negative, so she might have asked it.
  • Probably, the test done was antibodies tests. It is considered as conclusive after three months.
  • You can go for HIV-1 and 2 RNA PCR (polymerase chain reaction) at this stage to allay your anxiety.
  • The symptoms are not specific and do not suggest HIV. It may be due to any simple respiratory infection.
  • You can get it examined by an ENT specialist to relieve your anxiety about throat infection.

For further information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Does anxiety and extreme stress lead to lot of sweating? I am constantly thinking about this and it leads to mild headache. After bowel movement, I am having burning sensation for the last three to four days. Could this be gastric problem? I am having outside food for the last 20 days. Kindly suggest medicine for this.

#

• Yes, the symptoms may be due to anxiety. So, relax and do yoga or meditation.
  • Avoid hot spicy foods and carbonated drinks. Take chewable antacids or syrup. Take Ranitidine twice daily.

|