Q. Why am I having palpitations at times of big stress?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 03, 2022

I recently went to the ER after getting into a physical altercation with someone. I was winded and had chest pain and back pain. The pain eased up while I was in the ER waiting for blood work and other tests. I had an ECG showing a septal infarct, which cannot be ruled out. I also had an echocardiogram scan done two years ago that was normal. I have palpitations at times of big stress and have been diagnosed with anxiety and moderately high blood pressure. Currently, I am on Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism.

#

I understand your concern.

I have gone through your ECG. There are no definite changes in the ECG to suggest an acute major heart attack. Even anteroseptal infarction does not satisfy the criteria. But, considering your symptoms, the first possibility is a minor heart attack called unstable angina. So, it raises the possibility of blockages in your arteries.

Were Troponin or CK-MB (creatine kinase) levels done? Have you been started on any medicines like Aspirin or Statin? I think you should be started and should get an evaluation done. Have a healthy lifestyle, and avoid smoking and heavy activities till then.

|