Q. I took Unwanted 72 within 24 hours of getting sexually intimate. Can I still be pregnant?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2021

I got my periods on 18th of last month, and I got sexually intimate for the first time on 27th of last month. Although there was no full penetration, I took Unwanted 72 the next day. On 11th of this month, I had little bleeding with a lot of clots that lasted for three days. I normally have a 27 days menstrual cycle which is very regular and have a good flow. I was feeling dizzy and nausea sometimes, so on 18th and 25th of this month, I took a home pregnancy test which was negative. Can there be any chance of pregnancy? Or can those be the side effects of Unwanted 72? When should I take a home pregnancy test again? Please help as I am very tensed.

#

Let me put you at ease by saying that you will not be pregnant. Let me tell you how.

For a young lady with 27 days cycle, ovulation will be on day 13th, and the egg will stay alive for 24 hours. So you are at a risk of pregnancy on 29th to 31st. But your sexual exposure was much before that, so no way your egg was exposed to sperms.

The chances are further reduced as there was no ejaculation into the vagina. But if pre-seminal fluid comes in contact with genitals or thigh there is a slight chance of pregnancy.

As you took an emergency contraceptive pill within 72 hours, the chances of you getting pregnant are very slim. Unwanted 72 will suddenly increase the thickness of the inner lining of the uterus, which will come out in the form of clots or rather fleshy masses, with mild lower abdomen pain. Even though you felt the bleeding was less, clots means bleeding was more than normal.

• Unwanted 72 is a high dose progesterone hormone, which is usually produced after ovulation. So these are the symptoms usually every woman will have, like bloating, mood swings, annoyance, breast engorgement, nausea, gastritis, etc.
  • To add on to this you are anxious after the first time of sexual exposure, so please relax and wait for your next periods. If you are still unsure, then get an hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) blood test done, which will diagnose the initial level of pregnancy.
  • Next time use other contraceptive methods like condoms, oral contraceptive pills, etc. As repeated use of emergency contraception can disturb the regularity of your menstrual cycle, and the failure rate is high on repeated use.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|