Q. I missed taking my Minipill at the usual time and had intercourse. Will I be pregnant?

Dr. Suhail Khanday

I missed taking my Minipill (Progestin-only pill) last Friday night. I took the missed pill the next day morning (Saturday morning) and also took another pill in the evening at the usual time. Then, on Sunday, I took another pill at my usual time. On Sunday night, my husband and I had intercourse. Is there any chance of me getting pregnant as I did not take one tablet on Friday night? Kindly give your opinion.

#

You are not protected against pregnancy if:

1) You are taking a traditional POP (Progestogen-only contraceptive pill), and you are more than three hours late in taking your pill.

2) You are taking a Desogestrel pill, and you are more than 12 hours late in taking your pill.

To correct it, follow the instructions given below:

1) Take a pill as soon as you remember. Only take one even if you have missed more than one pill.

2) Take the next pill at the usual time.

3) Carry on taking your remaining pills each day at the usual time.

4) Use other contraceptive methods like a condom for the next 48 hours after you remember to take your missed pill or do not have intercourse.

Now the chances of pregnancy depend on whether you had used any other form of contraception during intercourse or not. If not, then your chances of getting pregnant are pretty high.

Since you had intercourse on Sunday and if unprotected, I would suggest you may need emergency contraception within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse.

|