Uti In Women

Is UTI contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. UTI - urinary tract infection caused by Klebsiella takes longer to get treated. But, once cleared it should not come back. Recurrent UTI could be due to kidney stones, diabetes, dehydration, involvement of upper urinary tract, frequent sexual encounters, etc. I would ...  Read Full »

My Cystocele Repair Surgery Failed. Should I Get It Done Again?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 61 year old female and a diabetic for the last ten years. I had a cystocele repair surgery along with hysterectomy and cervix and ovaries removal five months ago. There is a slight discharge on and off. I did a urine culture now and found that there was a colony of Enterococcus...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Verma

Fetal Medicine Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and understand the concerns. Antibiotics are to be taken if there is a presence of bacteria in significant colony count. In a case of a cystocele, a repair can be done using TOT (trans-obturator tape) or TVT (tension-free vaginal tape) te...  Read Full »

Side Effects of Doxycycline, Which I Took for UTI

Query: Hello doctor, I have been sick with side effects from Doxycycline for two weeks. I had a UTI which has cleared. I have been to the doctor twice, they checked my urine, and there is no infection. I feel tired, have chills, I feel cold, have a back and joint pain. I do not have a fever. I have read t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you had a urine test, but there are different types of urine test like a dipstick, which is done at the office, a complete analysis, which is done in the laboratory and a urine culture. I am more interested in the last two. With all due respect to you...  Read Full »

Will UTI during pregnancy affect the baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with a UTI a few days back and prescribed Cephalexin 500 mg four times a day. I only have four pills left and some of my symptoms are gone but some still remain. I was told this is caused by strep B. I am 18 weeks pregnant and will be 19 weeks in a few days. I want the...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may repeat the urinary routine microscopy test again and if the symptoms are still present, likely that you are resistant to Cephalexin and hence can be started on Nitrofurantoin 100 mg which is category B pregnancy drug and safe in pregnancy. It can be prophylacti...  Read Full »

Kindly explain the chest X-ray of a UTI patient.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother was admitted to hospital nine months back with a catheter-related UTI. She was also hypothermic. Tests revealed that the UTI had become urinary sepsis. She was given IV antibiotics for this. Her legs were swollen with edema, as was her lower abdomen, but her chest was clear....  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chest X-ray done shows mildly increased bilateral lung markings and a mildly enlarged cardiac shadow (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are no serious concerns about this X-ray. In the chest X-ray done a few days later, there is a generalised ha...  Read Full »

My periods are delayed. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a couple of questions regarding pregnancy. About two days ago, my partner and I had unprotected oral sex, and I was in a position where my vagina was on his penis, but we did not have sexual intercourse. Although he did finger me, he did not seem to have any body fluid on his f...  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? I do not see any reason for you to worry. Let me explain. You have mentioned that your periods usually occur in the early days of the month. Usually, a lady ovulates around the 12th to the 16th day of the periods. The life of the egg is 24 hours and ...  Read Full »

Please suggest some medicines for my wife's UTI and hematuria.

Query: Hi doctor, My 31 year old wife got UTI and hematuria last year, which got resolved after medication. Today she started having UTI symptoms like frequent urination with burning and pain. Please suggest some medicines.  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. She needs to get these basic tests. Ultrasound of the abdomen. Urine routine and culture. CBC (complete blood count). Serum creatinine. For the time being, I suggest you try taking the following for the urinary tract infection (UTI): Tablet Niftran (Nitrofurantoin) 100 mg...  Read Full »

Why is there frequent urination during night time?

Query: Hi doctor, My Mother is 78 years old. She has high BP and diabetes. She takes regular tablets. She gets UTI at least once a year. She is currently complaining of a burning sensation all over the body. During the daytime, she passes very less urine. But during night time, she is going very frequentl...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have sonography of abdomen? If not, please do an ultrasound of abdomen with post-void residual urine to rule out any physical cause of UTI (urinary tract infection). As per the history, you can give tablet Levofloxacin 500 mg once daily for seven days and tablet ...  Read Full »

I have strong burning sensation in vagina. Is the urine infection back?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old female. I am a virgin. I was treated for a urine infection a week ago and now it seems to be back again. I have a strong burning sensation in my vagina and it is very painful.  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is better to have urinalysis, urine culture and I would suggest high vaginal swab as well or just vaginal swab to be on the safe side. Have plenty of cranberry juice and water. Maintain strict hygiene. Wear soft, comfortable undergarments. Collect lab resu...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms due to UTI or something else?

Query: Hello doctor, I started having UTI symptoms. I also had chills and vomiting. Then the pain started in my lower right quadrant. It feels like a gland is inflamed. I got a bump near my urinary meatus first. I also have a discharge now that started today like that of yeast infection. But now, I have bu...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You seem to have an infection involving the urogenital tract, for which an antibiotic has been started which is a bit age-old. I would suggest the following: Urine exam...  Read Full »