Uti In Women

What can cause persistent UTI in pregnant women?

Query: Hello. Im 21weeks pregnant and i have a problem on solving my UTI. First urine test, i got 40-60 pus cells so the doctor gave me antibiotic and took 2 tablet for each day for 7 days. After taking, i took a urine test again but still i have a UTI, with 17-20 pus cells. It frustrates me because i drin...  Read Full »

Dr. Ridhi Narang

Answer: Hi Do you have any symptoms or are you just seeing the urine test results ?? If you don’t have any symptoms then it can be because of the contaminated sample or container Get one urine culture sensitivity test, you will know exactly which antibiotic will help For now, I would advise you to...  Read Full »

Why do I have symptoms of urinary infection, but negative urine culture?

Query: I am 22 yr old girl. I was suffering from Urinary infrction. I comleted my medication nd have urine culture but no bacteria found there but I still have high symptoms that is urge to pee and sensation in genital feels like I hv to pee all the time. I am getting depressed this is now 3 4 months I am ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Icliniq. I understand how distressing it must be for you. Please go for thorough evaluation of the cause for recurrent Urinary Infection. First of improve your water intake. Make sure you drink at least 3-4litres of water. Excessive urine while drinking plenty of water will flush ...  Read Full »

Can my mom take Nitrofurantoin for persistent UTI and E.coli infection?

Query: Good evening Dr. I require your kind advice regarding my mom's medication. She is 53 years old. You see my mom had persistent UTI & E-coli infection for almost a year throughout 2018-2019. Her health deteriorated due to which she had a fall last year & got fractures in her spine & right shoulder,...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahendra Thakre

Answer: Hi, I hope you are doing well. I understand your concern and worry. I understood that your mother had fall and dorsal spine injury since then she is having recurrent urinary tract infection. our understanding of any disease management has based on the cause of disease or symptoms. For the sa...  Read Full »

I feel severe irritation and itching in my vaginal opening. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a lot of irritation on my vagina opening and when I scratch it, it feels good but it gets more irritated. I went to the doctor recently and I had a UTI, however I am still feeling very itchy and I am getting concerned. I am 22 years old and right now I am only taking the a...  Read Full »

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like boil. And mostly it is UTI related (attachment removed to protect ptient identity). Continue taking antibiotics. Can be in healing phase and that is why itching must be there. But you can take Syrup Cital like liquid 2 times a day for 15 days. And can also...  Read Full »

Why am I having blood in urine before getting my periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 22 years old. I have been observing that since last 3-4 period cycles, I have been having blood in urine. Just an hour before periods then it is normal once I get my period and the urine is again clear. Recently, I got my period and an hour back I urinated with little blood but t...  Read Full »

Dr. Aman Gupta

Urologist, Andrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Endometriosis is not so common. Although you have a pattern of bleeding which goes in favor of bladder endometriosis. First thing which needs to be ruled out is a stone disease. Get an NCCT KUB done which will confirm or rule out stone disease. If it is not there th...  Read Full »

Is UTI contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. UTI - urinary tract infection caused by Klebsiella takes longer to get treated. But, once cleared it should not come back. Recurrent UTI could be due to kidney stones, diabetes, dehydration, involvement of upper urinary tract, frequent sexual encounters, etc. I would ...  Read Full »

My Cystocele Repair Surgery Failed. Should I Get It Done Again?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 61 year old female and a diabetic for the last ten years. I had a cystocele repair surgery along with hysterectomy and cervix and ovaries removal five months ago. There is a slight discharge on and off. I did a urine culture now and found that there was a colony of Enterococcus...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Verma

Fetal Medicine Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and understand the concerns. Antibiotics are to be taken if there is a presence of bacteria in significant colony count. In a case of a cystocele, a repair can be done using TOT (trans-obturator tape) or TVT (tension-free vaginal tape) te...  Read Full »

Side Effects of Doxycycline, Which I Took for UTI

Query: Hello doctor, I have been sick with side effects from Doxycycline for two weeks. I had a UTI which has cleared. I have been to the doctor twice, they checked my urine, and there is no infection. I feel tired, have chills, I feel cold, have a back and joint pain. I do not have a fever. I have read t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you had a urine test, but there are different types of urine test like a dipstick, which is done at the office, a complete analysis, which is done in the laboratory and a urine culture. I am more interested in the last two. With all due respect to you...  Read Full »

Will UTI during pregnancy affect the baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with a UTI a few days back and prescribed Cephalexin 500 mg four times a day. I only have four pills left and some of my symptoms are gone but some still remain. I was told this is caused by strep B. I am 18 weeks pregnant and will be 19 weeks in a few days. I want the...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may repeat the urinary routine microscopy test again and if the symptoms are still present, likely that you are resistant to Cephalexin and hence can be started on Nitrofurantoin 100 mg which is category B pregnancy drug and safe in pregnancy. It can be prophylacti...  Read Full »

Kindly explain the chest X-ray of a UTI patient.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother was admitted to hospital nine months back with a catheter-related UTI. She was also hypothermic. Tests revealed that the UTI had become urinary sepsis. She was given IV antibiotics for this. Her legs were swollen with edema, as was her lower abdomen, but her chest was clear....  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chest X-ray done shows mildly increased bilateral lung markings and a mildly enlarged cardiac shadow (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are no serious concerns about this X-ray. In the chest X-ray done a few days later, there is a generalised ha...  Read Full »