Q. I got two pink lines on the UPT which were not dark. When should I consult a gynecologist for this?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

I have got two pink lines on the home pregnancy kit, which is not so dark three days back. My period was due around eight days ago. I took a tablet Primolut last month to delay my periods for my marriage purpose. As I did not get periods for two months, I checked for PCOS three years back. The results were positive for PCOS. Since then, I have had fluctuations in my weight, but there were no significant issues with my periods, and they were mostly normal with a maximum delay of one week. Now my physician has recommended tablet Maintane and folic acid. Is it necessary and safe?

When should I consult a gynecologist?

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern,

To start with, congratulations on your pregnancy.

A home urine pregnancy test detects the presence of hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in urine and the brightness of the lines increases with the amount of hCG present. The hCG level increases from the date of your missed period. Since it has been only five days after your missed period, the hCG level may be low, and so the lighter line. Low hCG is the reason for your prescription of tablet Maintane (Allylestrenol), synthetic progesterone that supports the pregnancy until the hCG levels increase. Folic acid is prescribed to increase the blood cell production in both mother and the fetus, and also it is used to prevent neural defects in the growing fetus. Both the tablets prescribed are highly safe, so kindly continue to take the pills.

It is too early for the scan to show a fetus or a fetal heartbeat which is seen only at six to seven weeks of pregnancy. Since you are still middle of your fourth week, your doctor has advised a scan and obstetrician visit after two weeks.

However, if you have any other complaints like severe cramps or bleeding in these two weeks, then visit a doctor immediately.

I hope this was helpful.

|