Q. What is the treatment for recurrent UTI?

Answered by
Dr. Devendra
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

Hello doctor,

Ever since I had started being sexually active last year, I have been getting frequent UTIs. I had been having a UTI for a long while. I got it checked last week, and I was prescribed Sofilex for five days. The UTI got better, and everything was fine for about a week, and today it started to hurt again. I am peeing frequently, and I feel pain in my lower area. Last night, I was feeling quite sick. I had a headache, nausea, and pain. I was not sure if this was because of the UTI starting up. But, this morning it had definitely started.

I am still sexually active, and I know that sex can trigger infections. So, I clean up thoroughly after sex, as advised by my previous doctors, and according to what I have read about its prevention. I make sure it does not get too rough or unlubricated. I just want to know why the UTI keeps occurring and what I should do differently, to stop it once and for all. Is there a different type of medication I should take? I read online that there is a type of medication to take after sex. Is this going to be helpful? If it is possible, may I get a suggestion for which medication to take? What to do next, to make the UTI stop from recurring? Are there any medications or lifestyle changes to me made? I hope to hear from you soon.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

As you have already mentioned, sexual activity is a risk factor for UTI.

A urine analysis report done during the UTI (urinary tract infection) episode, will give us a better picture of the number of pus cells. I request you to share two such reports of tests done during two different episodes.

Due to the short length of the urethra, the bacteria of the perineum are inevitably introduced into the bladder. But, these bacteria should not be allowed sufficient time in the bladder to grow.

Some females are more prone to UTI compared to others due to a different antigen expression on the bladder mucosa. I recommend the following measures for you:

  1. I suggest you take tablet Nitrofurantoin 100 mg at bedtime and syrup Potassium citrate two teaspoons with half a glass of water, both for three days. Use the same medications for three days in case of recurrence. In case there is no improvement, get an ultrasound of the kidneys done.
  2. Empty your bladder before and after sexual intercourse. Emptying the bladder after sex drains out the bacteria from the bladder and does not allow them sufficient time for them to multiply.
  3. Keep yourself well hydrated.
  4. Wash your genitals before sex. Also, motivate your partner to wash the glans after retracting prepuce before sex.
  5. Do not hold your urine for long, as that could be very harmful.

Reply after 15 days after you try the above.

Revert after 15 days to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is UTI contagious?

UTI - urinary tract infection caused by Klebsiella takes longer to get treated ... Recurrent UTI could be due to kidney stones, di...   Read full

I have erection problem and feel fatigue. How to stay energetic?

.. understand your problem. The medicines you are taking is one of the causes of your erectile dysfunction. You are suffering from depression. I would suggest you take those medicines which do not cause erectile dysfunction. I will suggest you visit...   Read full

My sexual desire has gone down after taking Flunil. Should I stop taking this drug?

Hello doctor,

My age is 23 and my husband is 29. I am having a 1 year old baby. After my delivery, I had some problems in my family created by my mother-in-law. At that time my husband left his job and so, there was some di...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Please suggest medicines for parameters out of range in the blood test.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 36 years old. In one of her routine blood tests, we found a few anomalies. The report is attached. Please let me know your thoughts on the parameters that are out of range in the report and suggest medicines.  Read Full »

How to treat vaginal dryness and pain following a UTI?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full »

What is the permanent solution for testicular pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a mild pain in the right testis since two months. The USG report showed slight thickening of the spermatic cord. Now, after 10 days of antibiotic courses referred by the physician, then the condition is better. But when I lift some weight or drive a car, then the pain starts again...  Read Full »

Also Read

I am suffering from dry and scaly scalp. Is that scalp psoriasis?
Hello doctor, I am suffering from dry, scaly patches on the scalp for the last six to eight months. Since childhood, I h...  Read more»
Birth Control Methods - Facts, and Types
Devices or treatments done to prevent unwanted pregnancy are called birth control methods.In this article, I am going to...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.