Q. What is the treatment for recurrent UTI?

Dr. Devendra
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

Ever since I had started being sexually active last year, I have been getting frequent UTIs. I had been having a UTI for a long while. I got it checked last week, and I was prescribed Sofilex for five days. The UTI got better, and everything was fine for about a week, and today it started to hurt again. I am peeing frequently, and I feel pain in my lower area. Last night, I was feeling quite sick. I had a headache, nausea, and pain. I was not sure if this was because of the UTI starting up. But, this morning it had definitely started.

I am still sexually active, and I know that sex can trigger infections. So, I clean up thoroughly after sex, as advised by my previous doctors, and according to what I have read about its prevention. I make sure it does not get too rough or unlubricated. I just want to know why the UTI keeps occurring and what I should do differently, to stop it once and for all. Is there a different type of medication I should take? I read online that there is a type of medication to take after sex. Is this going to be helpful? If it is possible, may I get a suggestion for which medication to take? What to do next, to make the UTI stop from recurring? Are there any medications or lifestyle changes to me made? I hope to hear from you soon.

#

As you have already mentioned, sexual activity is a risk factor for UTI.

A urine analysis report done during the UTI (urinary tract infection) episode, will give us a better picture of the number of pus cells. I request you to share two such reports of tests done during two different episodes.

Due to the short length of the urethra, the bacteria of the perineum are inevitably introduced into the bladder. But, these bacteria should not be allowed sufficient time in the bladder to grow.

Some females are more prone to UTI compared to others due to a different antigen expression on the bladder mucosa. I recommend the following measures for you:

1. I suggest you take tablet Nitrofurantoin 100 mg at bedtime and syrup Potassium citrate two teaspoons with half a glass of water, both for three days. Use the same medications for three days in case of recurrence. In case there is no improvement, get an ultrasound of the kidneys done.
  2. Empty your bladder before and after sexual intercourse. Emptying the bladder after sex drains out the bacteria from the bladder and does not allow them sufficient time for them to multiply.
  3. Keep yourself well hydrated.
  4. Wash your genitals before sex. Also, motivate your partner to wash the glans after retracting prepuce before sex.
  5. Do not hold your urine for long, as that could be very harmful.

Reply after 15 days after you try the above.

Revert after 15 days to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|