Q. I get discomfort and bleeding post fingering with an urge to urinate. Is this UTI?

Dr. Ushahsi Mukherjee

A few months now, I have been experiencing discomfort and bleeding after being fingered. It does not really happen during sexual intercourse though. I have an urge to urinate even after urinating. And it stings and the urine will sometimes come out at different random times. I have had two UTI’s which I have felt the urine sensation before but the bleeding is what I am most concerned about. Also we always use protection. Why am I experiencing bleeding and discomfort after being fingered?

I am currently taking Lamotrigine and Adderall.

Dr. Ushahsi Mukherjee

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Have you noticed the bleeding while you urinate also? Or else only after fingering?

In view of your past episodes of UTI (urinary tract infection) it seems the same has recurred again as suggested by the pain after urinating. On top of that since women's urethral opening and the vagina are very near fingering might spread the infection there also and some injury during the fingering might have caused the bleeding.

Please take the following medications, and refrain from fingering and sexual activity until the pain, bleeding and UTI subsides. Meanwhile, do the following test to confirm urinary infection. Also, please attach the previous prescription where Lamotrigine and Adderall were prescribed. Do you have discharge per vagina and pain during intercourse as well?

Urine for routine and microscopic examination and culture sensitivity test. Vaginal swab for culture sensitivity. USG (ultrasound) lower abdomen and pelvis with PVRU (postvoid residual urine).

Tablet Nitrofurantoin modified release 100 mg 1 tablet twice daily after breakfast and dinner, Tranexamic acid 500 mg 1 tablet twice a day SOS if there is bleeding . Syrup Urinary alkalinizer (Disodium hydrogen Citrate) two teaspoons with one glass water twice a day.

Avoid fingering and sexual intercourse until bleeding and pain subsides. If at all sexual intercourse is done do it with a condom. Drink plenty of water and oral fluids. Avoid holding urine. Before urinating sanitize your toilet seats. Maintain hygiene at private parts.

With urine RE, ME, and CS reports.

| 

How to treat vaginal dryness and pain following a UTI?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full »

Is UTI contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »

Why do I have continous vaginal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing on behalf of my wife. She is facing continuous bleeding from vagina since seven days after post pregnancy bleeding. Here is the complete scenario. We blessed with a baby 38 days ago and it was a C-section delivery. 16 days back the bleeding had stopped completely. Everyth...  Read Full »