Q. Is it normal to have bulging veins in arms and legs with pain?

Answered by Dr. Ohams Henry and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M

Do you have a question on Varicose Veins or Doppler Ultrasound? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 19 years old and I am currently experiencing an issue with the veins in my arms and legs, primarily on the left side of my body. It started about a month ago when I noticed a vein on the top of my left foot that started bulging up out of nowhere. It was concerning but not painful until a few days later, it gave me extreme shooting, throbbing pain. This lasted for a about a week then started to fade to what it is today, a numb pain that gets sharp if I support my weight too much on that foot. This has limited my movement quite a bit, which makes it hard to complete my daily tasks, and I cannot wear closed toe shoes anymore without pain.

The problem got even more concerning when other veins in my body started to bulge ang give pain, first in my legs, and now in my hands and arms. My left hand is my primary one and now I cannot lift things or write or hold it downwards without having a pain in my arm, where a big vein pops up just below the wrist. This has all happened in the course of a month. Does this condition sound familiar and if so, what should I do to get treatment for it?