Q. I have vertigo, and I am experiencing various symptoms from the last 20 days. Please help me.

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 04, 2021

I am 24 years old. Before three years, I had vertigo and I consulted a doctor. He gave me some medicines and I was fine after taking them. Now, I have some symptoms for twenty days. I feel like things around me are in motion. It gets worse when I try to sleep and when I lie down on the bed or floor. I feel like my body is floating in the water. One of my nerve in my neck is fluctuating all the time. Sometimes, it also happens on my lower legs or elbows and it is not regular. I am afraid of moving things and it makes me anxious. I am unable to see television or mobile. It makes me feel discomfort. Things get worse when I lie down to sleep and it keeps me awake sometimes. Is it vertigo or something else? Can I have a brain tumor?

#

I would like to know some details of your symptoms. Please mention the feelings you have while having the symptoms of to and fro. Please mention whether you see these surrounding objects rotating around yourself or swinging or kept in a stable place. Please mention whether the symptoms of to and fro is swinging in your head. Please mention whether these symptoms are episodic or continuous. If it is episodic, then mention the duration of having these swinging episodes. Please mention whether you have an exaggeration of symptoms while lying down in a particular head or body position. Please mention whether the exaggerated symptom subsides after changing the position.

Please mention whether you have any problems with your ears. Please mention whether you have watering or pus kind of discharge from the ears. Please mention whether you have any difficulty in hearing and any abnormal sounds heard in any of your ears. Please mention whether you have done any tests for these symptoms. If yes, then send me the reports. Please mention whether you are taking any medication for your symptoms. If yes, please mention the medications and their doses and their effects on the symptoms.

Please mention in detail about your sleep habit. Please mention whether you sleep immediately after lying on the bed or it takes a long time. Please mention whether you have frequent awakenings during sleep. Please mention whether you feel fresh on awakening from sleep in the morning. Please mention your usual mood in your daily activities whether it is toward the sad side (thinking of the past) or the worrying side (thinking of the future). Please mention in detail regarding your appetite.

The surrounding things do not rotate but I have little movements while focusing on those things. Everything seems to be ninety-nine percent stable when I see on my eyes. I feel swinging around the whole body and room and not just in my head. It is episodic for few seconds. After reaching a stable position, when I walk or play, everything returns back to normal. I think that when I sleep on my stomach, I have less dizziness and when I sleep on my back and side, I have more dizziness.

I do not have any discharge from my ears. My ear wax is dry since my childhood. I do not have any hearing problems. I feel to have knock-knock sounds like heart sound inside my left ears and it lasts for three to four seconds once or twice a day. I am not taking medicines. I took some anti-motion sickness tablets before three years and I was normal.

Generally, I sleep deeply once I start sleeping on the bed. But for few days, I take half an hour to fall asleep due to motion sickness. I will not wake up frequently once I fall asleep and I wake up only in the morning. I always feel fresh in the morning. I am always worried about my future. My appetite is fine. I am a sportsman and I eat a balanced diet. I will not get hungry always.

#

As per the description, you can have positional vertigo. Hearing sounds in the ears can occur due to tinnitus and knock-knock sounds like heartbeat can occur due to a possibility of having a vascular lesion in the left ears. It needs to be ruled out by doing neuroimaging. Though positional vertigo is a benign condition that occurs due to endolymph flow changes in semicircular canals of ears and this vertigo can lead to secondary anxiety. I suggest you consult an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist soon. You can do an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain including bilateral middle and inner ear sections with contrast to rule out the structural abnormality in the brain or ears.

It does not seem to be a brain tumor.

#

No, I wish you to have a speedy recovery.

|