Q. How to understand the reason for my giddiness which happened some time back?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2021

I was admitted to ICU in a hospital with below conditions at night 4 AM. BP 90/60 mmHg, temperature afebrile, PR 80/min, CVS, R and PA NAD, giddiness, started generalized itching and nausea. There is no history of headache, visual disturbance, weakness of limbs and bowel and bladder disturbances. There is no history of DM, HTN, epilepsy, drug allergy and thyroid illness. There was blood and urine analysis, brain CT and abdominal ultrasound done. There is no problem found. The diagnoses were VBI and BBPV. Please let me know if I was diagnosed right.

#

• I would like to know a few more details. What did you feel in giddiness exactly? Was it feeling of everything rotating around you or feeling of head rotating or feeling of darkness in the front of the eyes or increased heartbeat?
  • For how long these problems lasted? Was it occurring episodically or persistent?
  • Your discharge summary was mentioning vertiginous symptoms (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If CT head was normal, I suggest you undergo MRI brain as CT head can miss out a few things in posterior part of the brain.

MRI brain with MR angiogram intracranial vessels.

Vertigo.

Revert with further details to a neurologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Yes, I was feeling giddy and almost fell five to six times. There was darkness in the front of my eyes. It lasted for around 4 hours. I felt everything rotating around me. It was the first time and did not again occur. I had lots of itching and my fingers swollen. I have no history of allergy for anything. But when consulted to the doctor, my BP was low and PR 80/min. My question is, can VBI or BPPV cause itching?

#

• You have mentioned that everything is rotating around you and darkness in front of eyes.
  • Everything rotating in front of eyes suggests vertigo and darkness in front of eyes suggest syncope, which is supported by low blood pressure.
  • By your description possibly syncope and vertebrobasilar insufficiency (VBI) may be more likely.
  • Itching is neither a feature of BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) nor VBI.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thanks for confirming that BPPV nor VBI causes itching. This incident has happened some time back. I suspect it was due to food poisoning. Is there any way to get the cause now by some tests?

#

• By further investigations, maybe can find some cause and may be not find anything. If not find anything in tests, at least your anxiety will be reduced.
  • You can get the following tests done for search the causes. MRI brain with MR angiogram intracranial and neck vessels with contrast, 2D echocardiography and 24-hour Holter monitoring.

|