Q. What can cause swaying sensation, lightheadedness, and loss of balance?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2022

I am feeling lightheaded, dizzy, and off balance. There is pressure at the top of my head and back down to my neck. When lying down, there is a swaying sensation to the left side. There is ringing in my left ear. Also, a cracking noise when swallowing and fullness in the left ear. I have been to two ENT doctors, cardiologist and a neurologist. The ENT diagnosed eustachian tube dysfunction and prescribed steroids, but no relief. The neurologist performed VNG. I will attach the results. Everything is normal with the heart. What else could cause the lightheadedness and swaying sensation?

#

You have positional vertigo. Your reports also suggest the same (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You should take anti-vertigo medicines and do maneuvers for vertigo relief.

Please tell me if you have a history of frequent nasal or throat infections.

What other than steroids have you been taking so far (so I can suggest better)?

Any history of hypertension?

Follow up with the required information. Take care.

Thank you for the reply.

I used to get strep throat constantly as a child but I had my tonsils removed and that stopped. I have been prescribed Meclizine but it does nothing but make me sleepy. I do have hypertension but take Amlodipine for that. I am having extreme anxiety over this to where I cannot even sleep. I do not know what else to do. Also, can what I have cause light-headedness?

Thanks.

#

I suggest you take tablet Stemetil (Prochlorperazine) twice daily and tablet Betahistine 16 mg twice daily for 15 days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine with their consent. Consult an ENT specialist forvertigo maneuvers and continue with your antihypertensives.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

|