Q. How to correct vitamin B12 deficiency?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had vitamin B12 deficiency. My doctor advised me to have 10 injections. Now, my vitamin B12 is more than 2000. What should I do?

#

I had gone through all the data posted.

• The treatment duration for B12 deficiency depends upon the cause, severity and symptoms.
  • For example, vitamin B12 deficiency is common in strict vegetarians. So, we advise them to take injection daily once intramuscularly for one week and then weekly once for four weeks and then monthly once in six months.
  • If pernicious anemia is the cause where there is a defect in the absorption of vitamin B12, then we will advise to take the same course for a longer duration.
  • It also depends up on the signs and symptoms like low hemoglobin, neuropathy, etc.
  • So, if you are a strict vegetarian or the cause of B12 deficiency has not been evaluated, then I suggest tablet containing B12 1000 mcg weekly two days.
  • Kindly review with further details, so that I can help you better.

Revert back with further doubts to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|