Q. How to correct vitamin B12 deficiency?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had vitamin B12 deficiency. My doctor advised me to have 10 injections. Now, my vitamin B12 is more than 2000. What should I do?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the data posted.

• The treatment duration for B12 deficiency depends upon the cause, severity and symptoms.
  • For example, vitamin B12 deficiency is common in strict vegetarians. So, we advise them to take injection daily once intramuscularly for one week and then weekly once for four weeks and then monthly once in six months.
  • If pernicious anemia is the cause where there is a defect in the absorption of vitamin B12, then we will advise to take the same course for a longer duration.
  • It also depends up on the signs and symptoms like low hemoglobin, neuropathy, etc.
  • So, if you are a strict vegetarian or the cause of B12 deficiency has not been evaluated, then I suggest tablet containing B12 1000 mcg weekly two days.
  • Kindly review with further details, so that I can help you better.

Revert back with further doubts to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Which vitamin to take for premature ejaculation?

Query: Hi doctor,I did a test. I got my results that my erection transmitter is 2.99, testosterone is 4.459. vitamins E, K, and C are also slightly low. Could this be the reason I have premature ejaculation? At times, I also have a weak erection after one ejaculation. What should I take to treat these? Tha...  Read Full »

What can be done to reduce high vitamin B12 level?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking Vitamin B medication for over one year and my Vitamin B12 level is very high, greater than 2000. What should I do to reduce the level? I am 27 years female. Please advise.  Read Full »

Can vitamin B12 deficiency result in unbalancing while walking?

Query: Hi doctor, Three years back, I had the problem of unbalancing while walking. I never felt any dizziness or spinning of head. I just had a feeling that I will fall down. I consulted a doctor and he told me that it was due to vitamin B12 deficiency and also prescribed me few shots of Vitcofol. Initial...  Read Full »