Q. How can greying of hair be treated?

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 22, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 26, 2019

I am 30 years old and having hairfall problem from the past 2 to 3 years and I used Minoxidil for a year but no use and slowly it looks like my male pattern baldness is increasing. The thing is last week I had hair tonsure. I noticed a lot of grey hair has come which makes me concerned. The only mistake I did was started to hair dye from past 1 year once in 4 months to cover a few grey hairs but now they have increased like anything and I almost look like an old person. My question is: Is there any possibility to reverse this greying or at least slow down the process and also how to stop this male pattern baldness or slow it down? Please suggest any vitamin tablets or anything that could slow down the process or reverse both male pattern and grey hair problem.

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon
#

Regarding your hairfall- Does anybody in your family suffer from baldness or premature greying? What is the percentage of Minoxidil you have been using all these days? Did you consult a dermatologist till now? Hair dye never increase the chance of greying. You can use the hair dye regularly. Male pattern baldness is genetically programmed and the Minoxidil is a useful medication for this. If you do not find good response with Minoxidil, then you can start the tablet Finasteride 1 mg daily one tablet for a period of 6 months. PRP injections might help you in the hairfall. Tablets containing Calcium Panthenoate might reduce the speed of greying of hairs. This can be tried for a period of three months.

genetic

androgenetic alopecia

| 

Thank you for the response. My grandfather have baldness but my father did not have. But regarding premature greying no one in my family has it. I consulted dermatologist 5 years back and he suggested Minoxidil 2 % and Iron supplements back then. I used Minoxidil for 1 1/2 year and stopped using it and since then hairfall only increased. So can I use Minoxidil 2 % or 5 % again?

I stopped using Minoxidil as I find no big improvement and also read that people who used told that hairfall increased as soon as they stopped using it and we have to use it for lifetime. Please suggest any diet changes that I can make along with medical prescription. So can I directly ask Calcium tablets which you prescribed or any particular tablets name that I should buy?

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel

#

Since the baldness runs in the family, it is likely that you are having the genetic baldness. Start using Minoxidil 5 % once at night for a period of 1 year atleast. Add Ketoconazole shampoo once a week and normal shampoo other days. Tablet Keraglo men might help you for the white hairs. Have plenty of greens and vegetables. Minoxidil is the only medication that is going to help you.

| 

I have lots of pimple, acne scars, dark circles and increasing white hair. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 22, and I have lots of pimple, acne scars, and dark circles. I am trying to get rid of them since last year. And I have white hair which are increasing. My nails are very week, and my foot nails become dead after some time. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Why do I have hair fall after surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Last year, I noticed hair fall. Then, I had a surgery for appendix and post surgery my hair fall increased severely. I have checked vitamin D, B12 and ferritin levels. Everything is normal. Since, I am a vegetarian my doctor put me on some multivitamin tablets. I am also taking biotin tab...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for gray hair in children?

Query: Hello doctor, What can be the reason for hair turning white in kids? Is there any solution to this problem? I read on the internet that hair can turn white even when vitamins or iron levels are low. If supplements are taken, can this problem be reduced? What kind of diet would help?  Read Full »

Ask a Cosmetologist Now