Q. I have some white spots on tongue with no pain or irritation. Is this serious?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

I have noticed a cluster of white spots on my tongue. I do not believe they to be ulcers as I have had them before in the past. They do not hurt and I feel no pain. I am worried that it might be something more serious. Can you confirm what it might be?

#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As you have mentioned that you had it before also and there is no pain. I think it is either some infection like a fungal infection which we call oral thrush or some nutritional deficiencies. More of looking like oral thrush. I suggest you to maintain good oral hygiene and use mouthwash twice daily, in the morning and at bedtime.

Include more fruits and green leafy vegetables in your diet. If you have any addictions, just stop using them. Get your blood sugar levels checked. You can take multivitamin and minerals supplements especially B-complex, Zinc and Vitamin C. Include calcium-rich foodstuff like milk, milk products, and eggs in your diet. If it persists for more than one week consult a physician.

Just a follow up from the painless sores on my tongue. I have noticed that it has been getting better but after I eat food the sore becomes more white. It has been two weeks now and the sore has not completely gone. It is less white than before but it gets more white after eating food. I am not sure if it is oral thrush as previously suggested.

#

As you have mentioned that it is persistent for more than two weeks now. I suggest you to consult an ENT specialist or OMFS (oralmaxillo-facial surgeon). Please do not delay in consulting. Such painless lesions can be a serious problem. Maintain good nutrition. Do not take spicy food. Maintain good oral hygiene. Get your blood sugar levels done.

|