Q. My HIV test after 15 weeks of exposure is negative but I am having some symptoms. Should I worry?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

Is the window period for HIV more extended when the symptoms of acute infection take a long time to show? I was tested for HIV by rapid test at 10 and 15 weeks after exposure (both negative), but have symptoms by week 9, and worse symptoms by the 13th week. Can I be calm with these results?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

The symptoms of acute HIV infection appear relatively for a short duration and resolve within a few days. These can appear anywhere around two to six weeks. Your signs at nine weeks could be a coincidental finding, and there could be numerous causes for the symptoms.

The tests performed these days for HIV are highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. Majority of the people who are infected with HIV develop antibodies by two to eight weeks. The literature says approximately​ 5 % develop by three months. With your negative HIV rapid test at 10 and 15 weeks after exposure, you can surely relax and calm. However, there are recommendations, and I also suggest to my patients to repeat the HIV test at six months of high-risk exposure. I hope your query is answered, but if you still have any other question, please revert.

| 

Can complete blood count show HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, Will complete blood count test show HIV infection? Will the WBC be increased or decreased?  Read Full »

What tests should be taken to confirm HIV status?

Query: Hello doctor,I had sex with CSW and my condom got broken. I have started feeling symptoms and have a cold sore throat and rashes on my back. I had tested 22nd day and 95th day both are antibody test and got negative and my doctor asked me to retest after six months. I had read that 84 days are enoug...  Read Full »

HIV test was negative, but I am still worried. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, After 15 months of unprotected sex, I went for HIV test called Comb AIDS test but, the result came back negative for both HIV-1 and 2. Again after three months, I redid the test, but even this time, the result was negative. I was not satisfied, so I went for ELISA tes...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now