Hiv Infection

Infection caused by HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is called the HIV infection. HIV damages the body's immune system, so the body is not able to fight off infections. HIV can get transmitted through blood, semen, vaginal secretions, and breast milk.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can chapped lips increase the risk of HIV transmission?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been scheduled for minor surgery, prior to which I have been advised few routine investigations, including HIV. Though I have always practiced safe sex throughout by using a condom, there have been a few instances (3-4 times) where I have practiced cunnilingus (licked my partner's...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Physician, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Preventive Medicine Physician, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The chances of transmission of HIV (human immunodeficiency syndrome) by oral sex or by the acts mentioned is almost nil unless there are bleeding wounds in the oral cavity. You are confirming that you did not have any oral wounds. You can go ahead with the HIV antibo...  Read Full »

Does HIV cause penile burning sensation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have two issues to ask you and kindly help me. Before four months, I had a high-risk exposure to HIV. I dismissed it and I lived my life normally. After a month, I got a COVID-19 infection. I had loss of taste and smell with oral thrush. At this point, I forgot about HIV due to the pre...  Read Full »

Dr. Yousef Abbas

Andrologist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can feel your anxiety. HIV 1 (human immunodeficiency virus 1) or HIV 2 tests with or without p24 antigen tests are accurate. You have spent more than a couple of months than others in your life for testing. You have done a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) and HIV antib...  Read Full »

Can a dentist transmit infections by not washing hands before putting on gloves?

Query: Hi doctor, I just went to the dentist for general cleaning. My dentist is great and very hygenic. Today when he came into the room, he washed his hands and put on gloves. Halfway through, he needed to go and check on another patient. He took his gloves off and left the room. I do not know his he ne...  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi


Answer: Hi, Welcome to That is great that you are cautious about hygiene. But it is perfectly fine. Your doctor would have definitely washed his hands before wearing the gloves. Secondly, HIV or hepatitis C viruses do not act on other people in seconds. It takes months or years to become acti...  Read Full »

I have diarrhea and flu for more than ten days after trying Cocaine. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am concerned as I tried cocaine 10 days ago. I used a bank note to snort it but did not share the note with anyone. There was no visible blood, etc. on the note. I had a cut in one of my nostrils and had an open wound. I was feeling unwell before this, but then got flu and cold a day...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection is spread through the exchange of body fluids. Dried blood stains cannot transmit the virus. Artificial things, such as notes in your case cannot help to serve as a focus of infection as the virus cannot survive. You can be ...  Read Full »

Do condoms always prevent HIV transmission?

Query: Hi doctor, I had sex with a girl before three months. She got tested for HIV and the result came negative. But now I have a low fever for four days. I have a doubt whether she has spread the virus through the condom she gave to me. Can anyone spread a virus through condoms? I know that it seems to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to If you had protected sex and if the condom was used consistently without any breakage in the condom, then the risk of acquiring HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is non-existent in your case. Your apprehensions are not factual. You have mentioned that your partner had ...  Read Full »

Can oral sex with an erupting wisdom tooth result in HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor,Can I get HIV from oral sex by swallowing saliva and from the cut present near the wisdom tooth? My partner does not have any other symptoms and we had sex once with a condom.   Read Full »

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

General Practitioner, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infections can occur through oral sex when the partner has a wound in the mouth or throat. There is a possible means. You have not mentioned the incident. If it has happened recently, a PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) therapy can be ta...  Read Full »

What is the possibility of acquiring HIV through precum in the anus?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a sexual encounter the other night. I received oral sex, and there may have been an instance where his penis rubbed against my anus, but I am not entirely sure if there was precum on the end of his penis or not. He used an Oraquick test and was negative, but he said he has oral...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have sexual activities with a male, and now you are concerned about transmission of HIV infection. If your partner's precum enters into your anus, there is a chance of HIV transmission. HIV is usually d...  Read Full »

I have rashes on my neck and chest with fever and joint pain. Does it indicate HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, Initially, I noticed four red rashes on my chest and neck. On the next day, I got another four rashes on my face and after two days, I got rashes on my hand and fingers. I also have mild fever and joint pain. All the symptoms have started after my treatment for herpes from a hospital. Do...  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Please send a few good quality photographs taken in a natural light to help you better. Revert back with the photos to a HIV AIDS specialist online -->  Read Full »

Can anal sex with HIV positive person transmit HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor,My partner is HIV positive. We had anal rubbing, but we used protection (condom). Also, there was no discharge and not even precum. The anus was also dry during that time. What is the chance of me getting affected?  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to A known case of HIV is always a potential candidate for transfer of infection. However, the infectivity levels differ according to his stage of disease, CD4 count and viral load titers. Anal intercourse does have a higher risk of disease transmission than the other modes ...  Read Full »

Are tridot test results reliable after 5 months of exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I had oral sex with an unknown woman for 4-5 seconds but then got scared and got away. I do not know her HIV status. I got a negative test on the seventh day and 158th day (5 months 10 days), which is also negative. I do not have any other exposure after that and in these five months....  Read Full »

Dr. Parth R Goswami

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You just had oral sex for 4 seconds and no intercourse at all. So you do not have any risk of HIV transmission as per history. However, it is good that you had done an investigation for HIV. Any HIV test after three months of exposure rules out HIV conclusively. You...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours
Chat with a Doctor

Chat with a Doctor

Starting @ just $29.99

Search for a Health Issue


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.