Q. I have bothering bumps on my retromolar pad. Please help.

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

I have two pea-sized bumps on my retromolar pad, and it is bothersome when I swallow. Please help.

#

• Considering your age, I find this is mostly due to the wisdom tooth eruption.
  • The swelling on the retromolar pad should be the reflection of the underlying unerupted wisdom tooth (third molar ) on that side.
  • The gum layer should be thick enough to restrict the wisdom tooth to erupt, which is seen as swelling of the third molar region. Also, it should be associated with oral ulcers caused by the constant hit of the opposing upper molars. It will lead to a condition of painful chewing or swallowing.
  • However, there is no substitute for a close visual examination. Hence, I advise you to visit a nearby dentist and check with x-ray in that region to confirm if it is the wisdom tooth that is troubling you.
  • The swelling also could be filled with pus and surrounded by food debris within the gums. It has to be cleaned thoroughly with saline water by the dentist.
  • Meanwhile, as a home remedy gargle lukewarm salt water thrice daily to flush the debris out of the gums.
  • Selective grinding of the opposing upper molars will prevent further injury to the lower gums. It will be done by the dentist in the same appointment.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|