Q. I have bothering bumps on my retromolar pad. Please help.

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Feb 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

I have two pea-sized bumps on my retromolar pad, and it is bothersome when I swallow. Please help.

#

• Considering your age, I find this is mostly due to the wisdom tooth eruption.
  • The swelling on the retromolar pad should be the reflection of the underlying unerupted wisdom tooth (third molar ) on that side.
  • The gum layer should be thick enough to restrict the wisdom tooth to erupt, which is seen as swelling of the third molar region. Also, it should be associated with oral ulcers caused by the constant hit of the opposing upper molars. It will lead to a condition of painful chewing or swallowing.
  • However, there is no substitute for a close visual examination. Hence, I advise you to visit a nearby dentist and check with x-ray in that region to confirm if it is the wisdom tooth that is troubling you.
  • The swelling also could be filled with pus and surrounded by food debris within the gums. It has to be cleaned thoroughly with saline water by the dentist.
  • Meanwhile, as a home remedy gargle lukewarm salt water thrice daily to flush the debris out of the gums.
  • Selective grinding of the opposing upper molars will prevent further injury to the lower gums. It will be done by the dentist in the same appointment.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

After wisdom tooth extraction, when can I start eating solid food?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my bottom left wisdom tooth removed yesterday. I am 25 years old and 11 weeks pregnant. I have been eating soft foods like mashed potatoes, jello, and pudding. However, I was wondering when I can begin to eat foods such as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cereals, pasta, etc.  Read Full »

How can I manage painful swollen gums with ulcers caused by excessive brushing?

Query: Hello doctor, After trying to fix my general teeth and gums, I have managed to get rid of the yellow plaque after a few days. However, after brushing gums excessively, ulcers have appeared, and my gums have swollen slightly and are very painful. I was wondering how to fix them and how long it will t...  Read Full »

How can I manage wisdom tooth eruption pain?

Query: Hello doctor, For the last two weeks, my two wisdom teeth on the right side of my face have been coming in. The pain has been incredibly severe and is almost unbearable at this point. I have been experiencing headaches and tenderness pain in my neck, jaw, and gums. I have trouble moving my jaw and ...  Read Full »