Q. I have wrist pain with tingling and it gets worse with daily activities. Why?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 12, 2020

I have wrist pain (right wrist), tingling feeling when trying to pick something up or when writing or holding a spoon/fork (right hand), forearm gets slightly bigger when massaged and gets back to normal size when iced, pain radiated all the way to my upper back (at one certain point/position) for the first two days. I had it massaged and the pain went away. I have all these feelings for the past four days.

I immobilized my wrist with wrist wraps (overnight and during the day) and did not use my fingers as much for two days and it helped immensely, my back pain was gone. Back pain came back for a few minutes when I tried to go back to doing normal activities and it is gone when I wrapped and rested my wrists. Please help.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement you have been suffering from right wrist pain, tingling sensation during picking up or writing or holding something, forearm becomes slightly bigger during messaging, and pain radiated towards the upper back. Back pain is usually gone when the wrist has been wrapped and rested. But the pain is developed again as soon as doing normal activities.

According to your description, such type of clinical features may result from Carpal tunnel syndrome due to compression of the median nerve at the wrist. You may feel aching, numbness, or tingling in your palm, wrist, thumb, or fingers and making it difficult to grasp things. Pain may go up to your elbow, arm, or shoulder.

Carpal tunnel syndrome may be caused by doing repetitive movements like writing, painting, typing, using computer mouse, sewing or using the vibrating tool, pregnancy, overweight, DM (diabetes mellitus), premenstrual syndrome, thyroid dysfunction, RA (rheumatoid arthritis), common injuries such as sprain, strain, tendinitis, bursitis, etc.

You should undergo some investigations such as x-ray of wrist joint, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of wrist joint, electromyography, nerve conduction study, RBS (random blood sugar), CBC (complete blood count), thyroid function test, RA test, etc, to diagnose Carpal tunnel syndrome and its etiology and then treat them accordingly.

Nonsurgical treatments for Carpal tunnel syndrome includes rest, wrist splinting, NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Aceclofenac, etc, intralesional corticosteroids injections, and weight reduction. If nonsurgical therapy is failed then go for the surgical intervention.

|