HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologyabdomen painI am experiencing abdominal and lower back pain after intercourse. Is it ectopic pregnancy or UTI?

Do I have lower back and abdominal pain with foul-smelling urine due to UTI or ectopic pregnancy?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At February 7, 2022
Reviewed AtNovember 30, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I wanted to know about ectopic pregnancy as I suffered from it last year. I had intercourse with my partner last month, and the condom tore so precautionary I took an I-pill the following day. I got my period on my usual date. I have done several UPT at home, but all came negative. The ultrasound report was also normal. But I am having abdominal pain and lower back pain, and the pain radiates to my leg. I am also having white discharge and foul-smelling urine. I am worried about whether it is ectopic pregnancy or UTI.

Answered by Dr. Deepika Joshi


Welcome to icliniq.com.

1. First of all, if you had your period properly and at your usual time, it is highly unlikely that you have conceived, and even your UPT (urine pregnancy test) is also negative.

2. UPT is a sensitive test that can detect pregnancy after 14 days of intercourse. It has been a month since your last intercourse, the chances of pregnancy are not there.

3. If you are still concerned about pregnancy, you can get a serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test done from a good lab.

4. The pain and discharge you are experiencing could be a urinary tract infection or vaginitis.

5. You should get a routine and culture test for urine, and if there is an infection, you should take appropriate antibiotics.

6. You should drink plenty of water.

7. You can take a painkiller and a urinary alkalizer till you get your reports.

I hope this helps you.

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

Thank you for replying. I got my reports for routine examination and urine culture, and hCG, and I have attached them. Can you suggest any medication for pain as well?

Answered by Dr. Deepika Joshi


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Your urine culture and examination report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) seems fine, but the hCG report is not appropriate.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Deepika Joshi
Dr. Deepika Joshi

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy