Q. I am 80 kg. Will it affect the outcome of ACL operation?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 03, 2020

I am planning to get an operation for ACL injury. After how many days of operation will I walk normally and do bike riding? How fast will I recover? My weight is 80 kg. Is there any problem for quick recovery with this weight? Kindly guide me.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• After the ACL surgery, if the surgery goes well, usually you will start walking with the long knee brace from the second day of the surgery.
  • Normally, you will be able to walk on your own after six to eight weeks of surgery. You can ride a bike after two to three months of surgery.
  • But as far as possible, avoid a bike ride for at least three months post surgery.
  • You can recover fast by doing regular physiotherapy and taking supplements and tablets.
  • I suggest tablet Shelcal-OS (Calcium) 500 mg twice daily in the morning and night for three months before food, tablet Limcee (vitamin C) 500 mg morning and night for two months after food and tablet Vitamin D 60,000 units once a week for 12 weeks. These will be provided by your doctor following surgery.
  • Regular physiotherapy after surgery is the key to success.
  • Your weight of 80 kg will not affect the outcome of surgery in any way.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

After the operation what should I do all the day? I mean, how should I sit? You told me not to ride bikes. Can I sit behind on the bike or scooty after three weeks? If I did not get the operation, can I live a normal life? What is the process or exercise should I follow to get cured?

Dr. Lokesh

#

• After the operation, you need to start static quadriceps exercises with the help of a physiotherapist.
  • Then can start weight bearing with a brace from the second day of surgery and then gradual knee bending over three weeks.
  • Yes, after four weeks you can sit behind on a scooty.
  • If you are not getting the operation now then osteoarthritis is known to occur faster in ACL - anterior cruciate ligament deficient individuals.
  • Otherwise, you need to do daily exercise to strengthen your hamstring muscles with the help of a physiotherapist.

|