Q. What do elevated kappa light chains and IgM indicate?

Dr. Shravana Kumar Chinnikatti

I am a 34 year old male. My free kappa light chains are elevated, but the ratio came back normal. IgM is also elevated, but IgG and IgA are normal. What does this mean? I do have a history of DVT. I am on blood thinners. I also did angiograms of my lower extremities. Can you help me understand what is actually going on? Please find the attached reports.

#

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• IgM and kappa can be raised in any acute infection.
  • Mixed infection probably started with viral and superadded bacterial infection. Repeat all blood tests after three months for evaluation. Start on a broad spectrum antibiotic for 7 to 14 days. Ther is nothing to worry, it is only a normal variant.

For further queries consult a medical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

| 

How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an IV treatment for fever.  I took four doses of Monocef 1 gm. My fever is gone, and I am feeling better. I still have a sore throat, and there is a lot of mucus generated. The mucus is transparent. How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection? Since my fe...  Read Full »

Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemi...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now