Q. What might have slowed down the rate of my alcohol metabolism?

Dr. Swaraj Waddankeri
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 19, 2022

I need help. We have zero-tolerance for alcohol at work. I had some alcohol eight hours (3 to 4 ounces) before work started. I am a 190-pound, good, shape male 70 inches and 48 years old. Based on the 1 ounce per hour metabolism, I was sure I would be in the clear. I do not have thyroid and realized I was cold and gaining weight. I had my TSH drawn, and I was hypothyroid. Could the hypothyroid state slow my alcohol metabolism? Any defense I have may help. I would never have drunk otherwise.

#

No, hypothyroidism does not cause slower metabolism of alcohol. What was your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone)? Are you taking medications?

I have no thyroid. I am already on meds but my TSH was 10. I have no idea how I could still have alcohol in my system.

#

When we are young and with less weight, the body metabolizes alcohol and other products at a certain rate. When we get older and gain weight, the body metabolism decreases.

Also, TSH of 10 is high and you require medicines for the same.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|