Q. My grandfather had an M-shaped hairline at 54. What does that mean for me?

Dr. Snehal Laul
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I imagined that I had the same hair genes as my grandfather, who was not bald at 54 (died at 56) but did have the M-shaped hairline yet still had a lot of hair at 54. What does it mean for me? Will I more or less follow the same route with his age and hair (provided that I had the same habits, environments as him, etc.)? What does it mean in general when a person has most of his hair at 54 but still had a semi noticeable receding hairline?

#

It is male pattern hair loss or baldness.

• Do you have any receding hairline?
  • Is there any thinning of hair?
  • Do you have any family history of androgenic alopecia?

I have attached the picture to assess scalp hair density and type of hair loss.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I assume that it is male pattern baldness, but it seems like, even at the age of 54, he still had a decent amount of hair. Will I more or less have the same amount of hair as him at the age of 54 if I inherited his genes and had the same habits as him? And how does the DHT sensitivity play a role? He was 54 years old in the picture.

#

Hormonal factors also play a role in DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) increase, which causes shortening of hair growth cycle and delay in new hair growth. It is androgenic alopecia (male pattern hair loss), according to the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have attached. Genetic factors are also involved. Hormonal imbalance, injury or burns, aging, infection, insufficient protein intake, iron deficiency, radiation or chemotherapy, drug usage, stress, hairstyles, hair procedures, rough handling, autoimmune causes, and telogen effluvium are other causes of male baldness. Is this the picture of your grandfather? Please attach your picture to assess scalp hair density and type of hair loss and treatment accordingly.

Thank you for your reply.

The picture shown was my grandfather at the age of 54. I have not experienced any hair loss (seemingly) yet. I am only curious if I will start to lose hair around the same age as my grandfather and in a similar fashion. In one of the pictures shown, I have a bald spot, and that was due to scarring caused by a head injury. I took it all in this month. And also, I am sorry for the inconvenience of uploading the same images multiple times.

#

1. Tablet Follihair (Calcium Pantothenate, Choline, elemental Iron, elemental Zinc, Folic acid, Melatonin, Methionine, and Niacinamide) once a day after breakfast for 30 days.
  2. Tenovate (Clobetasol) cream at night for 30 days (on the bald spot).
  3. Increase protein intake in your diet like nuts, milk, almonds, pulses, lentils, eggs, and dates.
  4. Eat oranges, avocado, carrot, yogurt, sweet potato, salmon, spinach (Vitamin A, folate, and iron), eggs, and chicken.
  5. Biotin, like onion, eggs, and nuts.
  6. Zinc like fortified cereals.
  7. Drink lots of water.
  8. Drink green tea.
  9. No caffeine, tea, or soda.
  10. Eliminate stress.

There is a chance of male baldness hair loss. Taking proper care of hair and avoiding triggers is needed.

• Do you have any habit of smoking?
  • Do you have any autoimmune disorders?
  • Do you have any thyroid issues?
  • Do you have any drug history?
  • Do you have any itching in the scalp?
  • Do you have any itchy bald spot?

|