Q. Is there any medicine to lessen sudden mood swings and control my anger?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2020

I'm 27 y/o, female and 82 kgs. I want to know if I am mentally ill. I get angry easily even to the tiniest things I find it annoying. I easily burst like a volcano. My hands tremble and having anxious of what should I think about things. There are times I feel that I know everything, do everything and I also have times when I feel worthless. feel stupid and useless. I will start not to do anything though I got tons of tasks need to finish. This is pressuring me to much. I really need an advice. hope to get some feedback regarding this. my uncle diagnosed to have a Schizophrenia. Thanks

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Hello Welcome to icliniq

Based on the information you have provided, there is no evidence of any severe mental health disorder. You have mentioned that your uncle has schizophrenia. Your symptoms do not indicate schizophrenia. You appear to have some emotional problems but it does not mean that you are mentally ill. You are describing problems with anger management, related anxiety and hand tremulousness, mood fluctuations between and procrastinating your tasks which are leading to a stressful situation.

How long have you been having problems ? Have you spoken to a trusted family member or friend who is able to understand and support you? Do not isolate yourself. Share your difficult thoughts so that your family/friend can offer their perspective and guide you. With some self-help interventions and support you can make some positive changes that will help you to feel better

1. Ensure that you are sleeping adequately for atleast 7-8 hours daily. If you are not able to sleep or don't feel the need to sleep consult a doctor nearby. Poor sleep will worsen your mood
  2. Eat healthily with enough fruits and nuts.
  3. Regular exercise will help to improve your mood and minimise mood swings. I also note that your body weight /BMI is on the higher side for your height. Exercise should help to regulate your weight as well.
  4. Avoid excessive caffeinated drinks and avoid any alcohol based drinks
  5. Try writing down your thoughts, feelings daily for atleast 10 minutes (like a diary/journaling). It will help you to reflect on your experiences and will be therapeutic. Also write down 2 or 3 things that were positive at that time
  6. Do deep breathing exercises and progressive muscle relaxation exercises daily. it will help to manage stress and minimise anger related outbursts
  7. Try to break down your work into small tasks and work on them. This can help to overcome procrastianation. You can also try pomodoro technique- break down your work into intervals, for example work for 25 minutes and then take a break for 5 minutes. You can work for four 25 mins slots and then take a long break. This strategy can help to overcome procrastination

If problems are severe and persistent, you can consult a local psychiatrist for further assessment and support. If mood swings are becoming severe and develop lhypomania/manic symptoms medication may be considered. Counselling/therapy can be helpful.

Hope this helps. Take care

| 
Is there any meds I could take to lessen this usual sudden mood swings? to control my emotions especially the anger I couldn't control? I seem can't think straightly/not focused. if there's sudden overwhelming things/news come up. I became anxious. is it all normal? to the point that I am feeling like I am about to faint. Please give me some meds to take so I can lessen this condition and continue do the tasks I needed to do. Thank you.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Welcome back to icliniq.

Medication like mood stabilisers will not be considered as first line treatment in this situation to manage mood swings. Non-pharmacological treatment like exercise, music and counselling will be beneficial.

• Exercise is the best mood regulator. Even a brisk walk of 10-15 minutes when you are feeling tired can paradoxically restore your spirit and energise you.
  • Social interaction will be helpful. Talking to a trusted family member or friend can lower stress significantly and control anger.
  • Listening to music helps to reduce tension and increase energy.
  • You can take Vitamin D supplements for a month

If anxiety is excessive and affecting normal functioning, consult a doctor in your city for support. SSRI medication (like fluoxetine or Sertraline) can be tried. Medication can only be prescribed by a local doctor and a full assessment will be needed to ascertain whether medication will be appropriate. Hope this helps.

|