Q. Is there any medicine to lessen sudden mood swings and control my anger?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 04, 2021

I am a 27-year-old female with a weight of 82 kilograms. I want to know whether I am mentally ill. I get angry even for tiny things. I feel annoyed. I easily burst like a volcano. My hands become trembled when I become anxious. There are times where I feel that I know everything, and I can do everything. I also have times where I feel worthless with stupid feelings and useless. I will have a lot of work but I avoid doing it. My uncle has schizophrenia. Kindly advise.

#

According to the information provided here, there is no evidence of any severe mental health disorder. You have mentioned that your uncle has schizophrenia. Your symptoms do not indicate schizophrenia. You seem to have emotional problems. You have problems with anger management, anxiety, hand trembling, and mood fluctuations with procrastinating works. It creates a stressful situation for you. Please mention the duration of these problems. Please mention whether you discussed this issue with your family members.

Do not isolate yourself. Share your difficult thoughts with your family or friends and they help to guide you. By having some self-help interventions and support, you can have some positive changes. It helps you to feel better. Have good sleep for atleast seven to eight hours daily. Poor sleep can worsen your mood. If you are unable to sleep, you need to consult a doctor. Eat healthy foods with enough fruits and nuts. Have regular exercise. It helps to improve your mood and minimize mood swings.

Your BMI (body mass index) is in a higher range considering your height. Exercise helps with weight loss. Avoid taking excessive caffeinated drinks and avoid taking any alcohol-based drinks. Try to write down your thoughts and feelings daily for atleast 10 minutes like a dairy. Try to write two to three positive things. It helps to reflect your experience. Do deep breathing exercise and progressive muscle relaxation exercise daily. It helps to manage stress and minimize anger-related outbursts.

Try to break down your work into small tasks. This helps to overcome procrastination. You can also try Pomodoro technique. Break down your work into intervals. For example, try to work for 25 minutes and take a break of 5 minutes. You can work for a four-minute slot and then take a long break. This strategy helps to overcome procrastination.

If your problems are severe and persistent, then consult a psychiatrist for further assessment and support. If your mood swings are becoming severe with hypomania or mania symptoms, then you can start taking medications. Taking counseling or therapy can help you a lot.

Is there any medicine that helps to reduce my usual sudden mood swings? How to control my emotions? I am unable to focus. When I hear sudden overwhelming things, I become anxious. Is it normal? Please suggest some medicines to overcome my problems.

#

Medication like mood stabilizers is not considered as the first line of treatment to manage mood swings. Taking non-pharmacological treatment like exercise, music, and counseling helps a lot. Exercise is the best mood regulator. Having a brisk walk of 10 to 15 minutes while feeling tired helps to restore your spirit and energize you. Having a social interaction helps a lot. Talk to your trusted family member or friend. It helps to lower stress and control anger. Listening to music helps to reduce tension and increase energy. You can take vitamin D supplements for a month. If your anxiety is excessive affecting normal functioning, then consult a doctor for having a treatment. SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) medication like Fluoxetine or Sertraline can be taken. Take it under the guidance of the doctor.

|