Mood Swings

What are the causes for intense mood swings and reading problem with time gaps?

Query: Hello doctor, I have noticed recently that I am having problems with reading, and this has never happened before. I am usually good at reading but the other day when I looked at a paper and read it as "65" but I looked away and looked back, and it is actually "75." This has been happening a lot wit...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understood your concerns. Although it is difficult for me to decide what is wrong with you, without talking to you but considering your age and kind of presentation, the most likely cause for such reading gaps is lack of attention. This is commo...  Read Full »

I feel depressed and suffocated. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I feel low all the time. I do not like to do any work, neither do I feel like eating. I feel like something inside me is being broken or cramped. I feel like crying out loud. While listening to songs, my eyes get filled with tears, and I start crying. I feel suffocated. Long back, when I...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehmet Akif Camkurt

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms that you are describing are consistent with depression and anxiety. As you stated this is the second episode, it alerts us that you have recurrent depressive episodes which are a predictor for further ones. Depression usually lasts about three to six month...  Read Full »

I had horrible mood swings, with happiness and depression mixed together. Do I have bipolar disorder?

Query: Hello doctor,I want to get some information regarding bipolar disorder because I think I have it. I had horrible mood swings, one moment I am overly happy, and the next moment I feel depressed. My sleeping schedule is also different than usual.  Read Full »

Dr. Anthony Koller

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me answer your questions via some bullets some points to make things easier to understand. 1. You are only 14 years old, and it is very unusual for a significant mood disorder like bipolar mood disorder to manifest at such a young age. However, this does not mea...  Read Full »

From the MRI report, please suggest whether we need to consult psychiatrist or neurologist for treatment of heavy head?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is currently taking treatment from a psychiatrist for depression. Her major symptoms are heaviness in the head, lower back pain, mood swings, feeling sad, and negative thoughts. Recently MRI and CT scan were done. CT scan was fine. MRI indicates multiple small T2/FLAIR hype...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that your mother's symptoms seem to be related to depression with psychotic signs. The lesions in MRI are suggestive of small vessel disease. I would recommend taking daily baby Aspirin 80 mg to help the progression of thes...  Read Full »

Why am I having rapid mood swings and ideas about suicide?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old, and I have rapid mood swings, and I space out a lot like I have no awareness of what is going on around me. When someone tries to snap me out of it, I lash out. I think about suicide a lot, and I have a history of self-harm, and I have started to drink alcohol to fe...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are reporting mood problems, history of self-harm and suicidal ideation. When you say you are spacing out, you are possibly describing dissociation which can be a result of high-stress levels. You will benefit by talking to your doctor or a counsellor to clarify ...  Read Full »

What is the cause of high BP, mood swings, and night sweats?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother is 34 years old. He was diagnosed to have high blood pressure in his 20 years of age. He feels palpitations and sweats at night while sleeping even in cold weather. Many times the sole of his feet get swollen. He remains in haste, cannot wait for long, and gets anxious many t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, regarding his mental condition, it seems that he is suffering and there is a definite need for treatment. The problem becomes more acute considering positive family history of schizophrenia in mother. Most of his symptoms indicate mood disorder which includes both...  Read Full »

How long are medicine for depression taken?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from depression. I consulted a doctor and he prescribed me tablet Nexito and Lonazep. After taking the tablet for a month, I stopped it now. I am suffering with headache again. Should I continue the medication?  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Depression is a mood disorder and the disorder occurs in episodes. The treatment also should be continued for a long duration. Nexito is Escitalopram and the drug should be continued for at least three to six months post remission of s...  Read Full »

My daughter is irritable and has rapid mood changes. Are these side effects of Hydrocortisone?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter has special needs. She had Cushing's syndrome and an adrenalectomy at the age of 8. She is now 31. She has had some psychiatric problems, and her current medication is 15 mg Hydrocortisone, 1 mcg Fludrocortisone, and 1.5 mg Risperidone daily. We have just taken her on holid...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your daughter. I must say that your daughter is rightly managed till now. These symptoms are not endocrine related. They are more related to the psychological condition, which is pre-existent. It is not easy to adjust anywhere else if one ...  Read Full »

My mood changes from time to time. Is this schizophrenia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting tingling sensation in my head and my perception changes. Sometimes I feel fine but sometime depressed and anxious. This process goes on in a cycle and I feel very difficult to continue my life like this. I do not have any motivation and there is no sense of pleasure. I am alw...  Read Full »

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Ayurveda Specialist, Yoga Specialist, Nutritionist, Dietician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need not worry by diagnosing yourself. Kindly answer the questions given below. What is your age and profession? How about your family? What is your hobby? Are you on any medication now? How is your sleep and day-to-day activities? Do you get any illusion? Revert ba...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest side effect free medicine for my wife's irritating behavior.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife looks highly irritated the whole day. She screams loudly at the top of her voice the whole day, even for a small issue. She keeps criticizing and nagging people. She is 65 years old. She has asthma and in menopause.  Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The description of excessive irritability, shouting and grumbling is suggestive of mood disorder and most likely a mixed mood episode. There are a few more details required for proper diagnosis and treatment. Is it a first episode? Please give the history of previous ...  Read Full »