Q. What do hypochromia and anisocytosis mean?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2019

I am diabetic, and my latest report showed HbA1C as 11, it says hypochromia and anisocytosis of red blood cells. What does it mean?

#

• HbA1C of 11 is very high, and it suggests toward uncontrolled diabetes. I suggest you investigate your urine sugar, blood fasting sugar, serum urea and creatinine. The treatment for diabetes should be started with oral hypoglycemic drugs like Metformin and Gliclazide.
  • Lifestyle changes are also needed, like reducing weight and consume more fruits and green leafy vegetables.
  • Hypochromia means central RBC (red blood cell) pallor is reduced. For that, check your hemoglobin first with CBC (complete blood count). If hemoglobin is low, then further work up needs to be done with serum ferritin and TIBC (total iron binding capacity).

Take care. Hope this will help you. Consult a physician for examination and discuss your case.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|