Q. How can I overcome the warming effects of Ashwagandha?

Dr. Rahul Rathee
Published on May 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 38 year old male. I started taking Ashwagandha 500 mg per day, a few months ago, and it improved my memory, attention, etc. But after a month, I began to have night sweats, agitation, weird sensations in the neck area and protruding eyes. I have read that Ashwagandha is excess pitta, I am new to ayurveda but also converted because Ashwagandha works wonders for me. I have some symptoms of overactive thyroid from it, but I really cannot quit it, because it has made me feel so good.

It has improved my life considerably. I suffer from OCD combined with BDD (body dysmorphic disorder) and depression. I am not producing enough serotonin, and my receptors for serotonin are also dysfunctional. In the last ten years, I have tried to keep myself aloft without psychiatric medication. Because it was not successful in my case, and they have some unwanted secondary effects. I take Omega 3, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Zinc, Vitamin D, Inositol, 5-HTP and lately Ashwagandha, and I cannot have a decent life without these supplements. I will never quit Ashwagandha again; I really cannot live without it. I have tried ghee, but it is not cooling enough. I also tried taking Shatavari and Bacopa, but I have some weird feeling, so it is not working. I also tried Triphala and Amla for a month but was also feeling weird from it so gave it up. Now I take Ashwagandha on alternate days. Please help me adjust the warming effects of Ashwagandha.

Dr. Rahul Rathee

#

I can understand your concern. I have carefully read all the details provided by you and here is the solution.

• Never take Ashwagandha with ghee. Take it with cold milk, without sugar.
  • Take Ashwagandha only three days a week, taking it continuously in high doses for too long will not have any benefits.
  • Whenever you take Ashwagandha, try taking another ayurvedic medicine called Chandanasava with it. It is in liquid form, and you have to take three teaspoons of it with a glass of water twice a day.
  • Also, try eating amla (Indian gooseberry) every day.
  • It also seems you are not taking enough water which is a must for you, at least 10 to 15 glasses of water daily.
  • Immediately get a thyroid profile done. And send me the reports.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

What could be the best medicine for allergic rhinitis?

Query: Hi, I am currently using Duonase nasal spray and Odimont LC for the allergic rhinitis. I am getting mild fever after taking Duonase. Is it safe to take Duonase? Can I take Paracetamol for fever while using Duonase? Is there any alternative for Duonase without steroids?  Read Full »

Suffering from OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Taking medicines, but I do not feel completely good. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) since last 10 years. Getting treated by a doctor with medicines. But I do not feel completely good. Many times I go into very sad mood. Please give me suggestions.  Read Full »

Kindly advise ayurveda treatment for uterine fibroid.

Query: Hi doctor,I have a fibroid of 9.6 × 6.9 cm. It is an intramural fibroid. I have heavy bleeding and back pain during my periods. I also have PCOS. I am taking Rasagandhi mezhugu. What medicine should I take along with Rasagandhi mezhugu for fibroid? Since the size of my fibroid is big, please give m...  Read Full »