Q. I stopped taking Adderall for some days and it is not effective now. Why?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 18, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 19, 2019

I have recently been diagnosed with adult ADD. My psychiatrist prescribed 20 mg Adderall every morning. I took it for a few days (it worked) and then took a break of two days as I found I was not able to sleep on it. I thought I would get a good night sleep and then resume the meds to see if they were active.

After the break, I have been taking them consistently every day and find they do not have any effect on me anymore. My psychiatrist now prescribed 75 mg of Wellbutrin. I also told him that I was having crashes in the evenings when I was taking Adderall. Why would the Adderall stop working so soon? What effect will the Wellbutrin have?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

It usually takes a few attempts to optimize your ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder) medication regimen. It can be somewhat frustrating, but your experience is not uncommon. Your doctor will titrate the dose of Adderall (Dextroamphetamine, Amphetamine) according to your clinical response and tolerability. There is some evidence to show that Wellbutrin (Bupropion) is helpful in adult ADHD, especially if you also have any low mood and anxiety symptoms. So continue having regular reviews with your doctor who will monitor your response. Follow proper sleep hygiene measures and try to exercise regularly. It will have a beneficial effect.

Can Levothyroxine be taken along with MAO inhibitor?

Query: Hello doctor, I am wondering if I can take Levothyroxine along with MAO inhibitor? Also, I have taken Etizolam for a sleep disorder, how long do I need to wait before I can take MAO inhibitor?  Read Full »

I have difficulty in focusing and understanding verbal instructions. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am female, 21 years of age and as weird as this sounds, I always feel like I am so overfocused that I cannot really focus. I am very slow when it comes to verbal communication, it is something I have struggled with ever since I was a child. So when someone is verbally giving me inst...  Read Full »