Q. I stopped taking Adderall for some days and it is not effective now. Why?

Answered by Dr. Suresh Kumar G D and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder or Amphetamine? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have recently been diagnosed with adult ADD. My psychiatrist prescribed 20 mg Adderall every morning. I took it for a few days (it worked) and then took a break of two days as I found I was not able to sleep on it. I thought I would get a good night sleep and then resume the meds to see if they were active.

After the break, I have been taking them consistently every day and find they do not have any effect on me anymore. My psychiatrist now prescribed 75 mg of Wellbutrin. I also told him that I was having crashes in the evenings when I was taking Adderall. Why would the Adderall stop working so soon? What effect will the Wellbutrin have?