Q. On increasing the ADHD medications, my son has become more aggressive. Please help.

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

My 8-year-old son has ADHD and has been on Vyvanse 30 mg and Risperidone 1 mg daily. Recently he has been showing increased impulsivity and aggressiveness at school. His doctor recommended an increase of dosage to 40 mg of the Vyvanse and 1.5 mg Risperidone. However, this seems to make him increasingly agitated, and he says he cannot focus at school. He is still quite impulsive and often runs home from school. He refuses to take his medicines. When he has taken them in the past, it was because we hid them in his breakfast. I am wondering if Vyvanse is the best medication for him? His pediatrician has mentioned Intuniv in the past, but my son refuses to swallow a pill. He is very strong-willed. How can I get my son to be on board with taking his medication and find a drug that will help him best?

#

Your son needs to take drug holidays, and he should take them only when he is going to school. He does not need to take it daily. He needs a drug holiday to maintain the excellent effect of tablet Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate). If you give him daily, then he will be cranky and agitated. You do not need to increase the dose. It would help if you try this pattern and your son has stopped medication because of its side effects. You can also teach him relaxation or meditation, which will help him to calm and relax. It will allow him to increase concentration. I hope that you got your answer. Please let me know if you want some help. Thank you.

|