Q. Which of my two specialists should I listen to?

I have ADD and narcolepsy as well. I have not been on any medications for either. I consulted a sleep specialist and psychiatrist in two weeks separately. I have taken Phentermine 37.5 in the past for weight loss which did not work. I would take two pills and still be tired and go to sleep. I was told Phentermine is a stimulant. If this stimulant does not work, will no stimulants work for me with this dual diagnosis? And which of two specialists should I listen to in the event they disagree with what I should take?

#

• Phentermine is a stimulant drug, but its use is mainly limited to weight loss. If that does not work for you, it does not mean that other drugs will not work. If you have been diagnosed with ADD (attention deficit disorder) and you have narcolepsy, then other stimulant drugs should be tried.
  • Methylphenidate or Adderall (a combination of Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine) are other stimulant drugs that can be used. These will reduce the attacks of narcolepsy too and will help improve concentration in case of ADD symptoms.

Please discuss with your psychiatrist about my suggestions. Take care.

For more information consult a sleep medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/sleep-medicine-physician

| 

My son is feeling sleepy all the time. What is his problem?

Query: Hi doctor,My son of 23 years is feeling sleepy all the time, walks while sleeping, sleeps while standing and falls asleep while traveling in a car. He has concentration problems and very irritable. He is overweight. Of late, even his speech is not very clear. What is the problem? Which specialty doc...  Read Full »

I have been facing excessive sleeping. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old. I have been facing excessive sleeping for the last two weeks. Even after having a sound sleep for 6 to 8 hours at night I find it difficult to wake up. I feel sleepy all day long. If I think of taking a nap in the afternoon, then it again lasts for 3 to 4 hours and aga...  Read Full »

How to control my son's behavioral problems?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 5.5 years old with developmental delay, speech delay and poor motor skills. He is always hitting, biting and scratching other kids or me when he is upset for any reason. I do not know how to deal with this. I have tried many things, but nothing works. Also, he has a 9 year ...  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»

Ask a Sleep Medicine Physician Now